Another Diffcult Bone Compression problem.

• Thread starter shaka23h
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Compression
In summary: To find the cross sectional area of a cylinder, you need to find the radius of both the outer and inner cylinders, and then use the formula F = Y (Delta L/L0) A.
shaka23h
A gymnast does a one-arm handstand. The humerus, which is the upper arm bone between the elbow and the shoulder joint, may be approximated as a 0.26-m-long cylinder with an outer radius of 1.12 x 10-2 m and a hollow inner core with a radius of 3.7 x 10-3 m. Excluding the arm, the mass of the gymnast is 58 kg. Bone has a compressional Young's modulus of 9.4 x 109 N/m2. (a) What is the compressional strain of the humerus? (b) By how much is the humerus compressed?

Ok here is what I have so far on this problem I know that I'm suppose to find the Cross sectional area (A) in this problem. But I'm not sure how I would go about doing that with the 2 radius. Do I find the area of each and add them together? Or perhaps subtracting them?

I know that I'm suppose to use the formula F = Y (Delta L/ L0) (A) . Y = Youngs Modulus, Delta L = Change in Length/ L0 is initial Length, A = crossectional area.

The force applied here would be (58 kg)(9.8 m/s) right? The F value
young's Modulus is given as well as the initial length.

I know that to find the strain it is the ratio between Delta L and L0 right? And to find the change in how much it is compressed by solving for the Delta L.

So my main difficulty is the cross sectional area of this problem and perhaps not working right to find the total force?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want the right cross sectional area you actually have to use both radii. Since the inside of the bone is hallow, you wouldn't want to include that would you? You are right for the force though.

do you mean for me to subtract the second radius area from the 1st since it is a hollow object?

I tried that and plugged into my formula of F = Y (D L/L0) A and I could not get the right answer for the 1st part.

Just to make sure that my logic is right the Delta L/ L0 would give me the compression strain "answer to the first part of the question" correct?

shaka23h said:
Just to make sure that my logic is right the Delta L/ L0 would give me the compression strain "answer to the first part of the question" correct?

Yes, it would. Regarding the area, check your calculation again.

oh crap, is this suppose to be an crossectional area of a cylinder? I think I was thinking of it interms of a circle...

wow.

shaka23h said:
oh crap, is this suppose to be an crossectional area of a cylinder? I think I was thinking of it interms of a circle...

wow.
It is the area you get when you subtract the area of the hollow cylinder's cross section from the area of the 'outer' cylinder's cross section.

ok well I'm just wondering how do u find a cross sectional area of a cylinder? I could not find it anywhere in the book.

Thanks

Related to Another Diffcult Bone Compression problem.

1. What is "Another Difficult Bone Compression Problem"?

"Another Difficult Bone Compression Problem" is a scientific term used to describe a medical condition where bones become compressed, leading to discomfort and potential health issues.

2. What causes "Another Difficult Bone Compression Problem"?

The exact cause of "Another Difficult Bone Compression Problem" is not fully understood, but it is believed to be a combination of genetic factors, lifestyle choices, and aging.

3. What are the symptoms of "Another Difficult Bone Compression Problem"?

Common symptoms of "Another Difficult Bone Compression Problem" include pain, stiffness, and limited range of motion in the affected areas.

4. How is "Another Difficult Bone Compression Problem" diagnosed?

"Another Difficult Bone Compression Problem" can be diagnosed through a physical examination, imaging tests such as X-rays or MRI, and possibly a bone density test.

5. What are the treatment options for "Another Difficult Bone Compression Problem"?

Treatment for "Another Difficult Bone Compression Problem" may include medication, physical therapy, and in severe cases, surgery. It is important to consult with a medical professional for personalized treatment plans.