Another confusing thought on relativity

In summary: So, he is not violating any rules. When he looks out at the stars, they will not be distorted, but they will be shifted both to the blue and the red, depending on which side of his space ship he looks out from. Brian will calculate his speed as being c, and so he will also conclude that the trip to Castor will take zero time. But, from Wayne's perspective, the trip will take 50 years and Brian will have aged 50 years upon his arrival at Castor. The paradox is resolved when we consider that the twins are not in a symmetrical situation - Brian is accelerating and decelerating, which is why his perspective is different from Wayne's
tonybonanzas
So, as anything approaches the speed of light, times slows, and once an object reaches the speed of light, aka a photon, time stops passing for it. I'm fine and dandy with this concept, until I start thinking about light traveling through space from distant galaxies. If you're looking at a galaxy that is 1.28 million light years away, the light you are observing is 1.28 million years old. My problem with understanding this is that, if time does no pass for a photon, wouldn't the light have arrived on Earth 1.28 million years ago instead of now?

Physics news on Phys.org
tonybonanzas said:
So, as anything approaches the speed of light, times slows, and once an object reaches the speed of light, aka a photon, time stops passing for it.
Nitpick: Nothing in the universe "approaches and then reaches the speed of light". Things with mass will never reach the speed of light. Massless things always go the sped of light. And ne'er the twain shall meet.

tonybonanzas said:
I'm fine and dandy with this concept, until I start thinking about light traveling through space from distant galaxies. If you're looking at a galaxy that is 1.28 million light years away, the light you are observing is 1.28 million years old. My problem with understanding this is that, if time does no pass for a photon, wouldn't the light have arrived on Earth 1.28 million years ago instead of now?
No. 1.28 million years still passes for the rest of the universe.

tonybonanzas said:
So, as anything approaches the speed of light, times slows, and once an object reaches the speed of light, aka a photon, time stops passing for it. I'm fine and dandy with this concept, until I start thinking about light traveling through space from distant galaxies. If you're looking at a galaxy that is 1.28 million light years away, the light you are observing is 1.28 million years old. My problem with understanding this is that, if time does no pass for a photon, wouldn't the light have arrived on Earth 1.28 million years ago instead of now?
Good one. :smile: No, according to our measurement that light is 1.28 million years old in the sense that it was emitted that long ago. However its "proper age", if we use that term for a photon, is indeed zero - just as a space traveler going at almost the speed of light will hardly age. But if he leaves (according to our counting) during our life time, he will still arrive after we are long dead.

To open a new though, if we have spent time and though based on space time being bent by gravity and its not, are we not in a rut that has trapped us for a long time and will subvert our line of though till we get out of that rut. If Einstein, was wrong and those people at the solar eclipse saw light simply being bent by the suns atmosphere, not time and space being bent by gravity, do we not have a problem starting from a mistaken point and would not out thoughts on relativity be changed.

The real waste of time and thought is the inability to accept a theory that was proved 100 years ago. If you think that gravitational lensing is a mistaken effect of the sun's atmosphere, let me remind you of the lensing produced by the galaxy cluster Abell 2218.

If we shift this question a little to a space ship, can anyone answer me this one please?
Twin Paradox. Twin Brian is merrily zooming through space at almost the speed of light heading for the star Castor.It will take him 50 years to cover the 49.8 light years.
Brian had computers on his space ship, they can measure his speed.
Wayne is back on Earth. Remotely manning a space telescope orbiting earth, carefully watching his twin brothers spaceship travel through space.
I understand that Wayne should see the journey take some 50 years.
Brian ?? Will think that the journey was ?instant? because time is slowed down for him and he does not age.
But if he thinks that he get there in a matter of minutes, how fast did he think he was going?

Paulknowsnoth said:
If we shift this question a little to a space ship, can anyone answer me this one please?
Twin Paradox. Twin Brian is merrily zooming through space at almost the speed of light heading for the star Castor.It will take him 50 years to cover the 49.8 light years.
Wayne is back on Earth. Remotely manning a space telescope orbiting earth, carefully watching his twin brothers spaceship travel through space.
Brian ?? Will think that the journey was ?instant? because time is slowed down for him and he does not age.
But if he thinks that he get there in a matter of minutes, how fast did he think he was going?
Brian and Wayne will both agree on the speed that Brian is traveling at except that Brian will see Wayne as traveling away from him.

Paulknowsnoth said:
As Brian approaches c, he will see the distance between Earth and Castor shrink. By the time he hits top speed, the distance he measures between them will be much less than a light year - short enough that his journey only takes a fraction of a year.

At no time will Brian measure his speed as exceeding c.

Brian will age a only a little bit, thinking the trip took <<50 years to complete.

He will, however, measure the distance to be extremely contracted, and so will measure his speed as ~c.

Sorry, but my understanding was that questions were a good thing, (but having been talked out of school by the US. Government, to kill people back in the 70's), my knowledge base is very limited but I still have wide interest and I have found that to many times confusing questions and answers that are more confusing than the questions, often result from a basic mistake from the starting point, as I understand it no original theory, or understanding in any time, or age, has every survived the test of time. My apology for this question as it seems you were offended, so I'll stay off this cite and leave it the educated, Sorry but Facebook and the rest, really sucked, I looked for something more.

very different answers there! But thank you Dave - that one looks good to me.
In a mind bending Einstein was darn clever wasn't he and maybe I still won't sleep tonight even though I now know the answer...
:)
Paul (knows a little more now)

xtrapper: get over it...you need a thick skin here when you disparage proven theories. In fact you'll need a thick skin in general!

I disagree with your entire first post since you post a false premise and consequently arrive at a false conclusion. Maybe next time just ask : Do we have a better theory of gravity?
and you'll likely get some responses that are useful both to you and others.

It's not too late to learn: I only avoided 'killing people' in the sixties because I was in graduate school then...but I'm still learning...even more slowly than back then!

I would point out to you that most physicsts believe general relativity is NOT the final theory...nor is quantum theory...The reason it is suspected neither is absolutely accurate is that both appear to fail at the center of black holes and at the point of the big bang...both appear as 'singularities', not likely much of anything actually 'infinite' as the math says, but rather where such 'infinite' results probably imply a breakdown of our theories. Where spacetime curvature becomes reallly, really severe, we have some more theoretical work ahead...quantum gravity attempts that, but is apparently not complete yet.
A good read is THREE ROADS TO QUANTUM GRAVITY by Lee Smolin...all ideas, no math, and likely still cheap on Amazon books. Then you'll be able to ask some really cool questions...

Related to Another confusing thought on relativity

1. What is relativity?

Relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that explains the relationship between space and time, and how they are affected by the presence of mass and energy.

2. Why is relativity confusing?

Relativity can be confusing because it challenges our everyday understanding of space and time, and requires a shift in perspective to fully comprehend. It also involves complex mathematical equations and concepts that can be difficult to grasp.

3. How does relativity affect our daily lives?

While the effects of relativity may not be noticeable in our daily lives, it plays a crucial role in our modern understanding of the universe. GPS technology, for example, would not be accurate without taking into account the effects of relativity.

4. What is the difference between special and general relativity?

Special relativity deals with the relationship between objects in motion, while general relativity expands on this by incorporating the effects of gravity. Special relativity is a special case of general relativity, and both are necessary to fully understand the nature of space and time.

5. Can relativity be proven?

While it is difficult to prove theories in science, the principles of relativity have been tested and verified through various experiments and observations. However, as with any scientific theory, it is subject to change and refinement as new evidence and discoveries emerge.