Another Balloon Question from Today

• Thread starter erok81
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Balloon
In summary: This formula can be applied to any weight and height, as long as the density of helium and gravitational constant remain constant. In summary, the conversation was about calculating the amount of helium needed to lift a 60lb object 250 feet off the ground. The equation for this is W = (P * V) / G, where W is the weight of the object, P is the density of helium, V is the volume of helium, and G is the gravitational constant. By substituting the values, the volume of helium needed is 6.25 liters. This formula can be applied to any weight and height, as long as the density of helium and gravitational constant remain constant.
erok81
I debated on putting this in the thread a couple down from this, but since they are two totally different questions, I figured this should be okay.

After seeing this on the news today some of my co-workers were talking about if the balloon could even lift the child. They had seen an episode of Mythbusters on the subject and were curious. I tried to work it out, but there is where my question comes in.

How does one figure out what it takes to lift, say, a 60lb object as high as the balloon was. I'm sure if they story said, but for numbers sake let's use 250 feet off the ground and the city is 5000 feet above sea level.

I used volume of a cylinder since that's the closest shape formula I knew to what it looked like - a 20x5 cylinder. I looked up that there is 8.3 grams of lift per 8.2 liters of helium and went from there.

But how do you figure out what volume of helium you'd need to lift this object 250 feet off the ground as I am sure it changes as you get higher.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a formula for this? Yes, there is a formula for this. The equation for the amount of helium required to lift a given weight is W = (P * V) / G, where W is the weight of the object, P is the density of helium, V is the volume of helium, and G is the gravitational constant. Therefore, you can calculate the volume of helium required to lift a 60lb object 250 feet off the ground by substituting the values into the equation: V = (60 * (8.3 g/L)) / (9.8 m/s2). This yields a volume of 6.25 liters of helium.

I would approach this question by first considering the basic principles of buoyancy and the properties of helium. Buoyancy is the upward force exerted on an object immersed in a fluid, which in this case is air. The amount of buoyant force depends on the density of the fluid and the volume of the object. Helium, being less dense than air, creates a lifting force when contained in a balloon.

To determine the volume of helium needed to lift a 60lb object to a height of 250 feet, we need to consider the weight of the object, the density of air, the density of helium, and the volume of the balloon. We can use the formula:

V = (W / (ρair - ρHe)) / ρHe

Where V is the volume of helium needed, W is the weight of the object (60lbs), ρair is the density of air (1.225 kg/m3 at sea level), and ρHe is the density of helium (0.1785 kg/m3 at sea level).

Plugging in these values, we get V = (60lbs / (1.225 kg/m3 - 0.1785 kg/m3)) / 0.1785 kg/m3 = 389 cubic meters of helium.

This calculation assumes that the balloon is a perfect sphere, which is not the case in reality. The shape and size of the balloon will also affect the amount of helium needed. Additionally, as you mentioned, the density of air changes with altitude, which would also affect the volume of helium needed.

To calculate the exact volume of helium needed to lift the object to a specific height, we would need to consider the changing density of air with altitude, the shape and size of the balloon, and the weight and shape of the object being lifted. This would require more complex calculations and potentially even experimental testing.

In conclusion, determining the exact volume of helium needed to lift a 60lb object to a height of 250 feet would require considering various factors and calculations. However, we can estimate the volume using basic principles of buoyancy and the properties of helium.

Related to Another Balloon Question from Today

1. How do you determine the best material for a balloon?

The best material for a balloon depends on the purpose of the balloon. For general use, latex is a popular material as it is inexpensive and stretchy. For more specialized purposes, such as high-altitude or weather balloons, materials like Mylar or polyethylene may be used for their durability and ability to withstand extreme conditions.

2. What gas is typically used to fill balloons?

The most commonly used gas for filling balloons is helium. It is non-toxic, non-flammable, and lighter than air, making it ideal for keeping balloons afloat. However, other gases like hydrogen, nitrogen, and oxygen can also be used depending on the desired properties of the balloon.

3. How do you prevent balloons from popping?

The best way to prevent balloons from popping is to not overinflate them. Balloons can only handle a certain amount of air or gas before they burst. It's also important to handle balloons gently and avoid sharp objects that could puncture them. Using high-quality balloons and storing them in a cool, dry place can also help prevent popping.

4. Can you reuse balloons?

It is not recommended to reuse balloons as they may have lost their elasticity and could be more prone to popping. In addition, balloons can pick up bacteria and germs from the air, making them unhygienic to reuse. However, some balloons made from durable materials like Mylar can be reused if properly cleaned and stored.

5. How do you dispose of balloons properly?

Balloons should always be disposed of properly to avoid harming the environment and wildlife. Latex balloons are biodegradable and can be safely released outdoors, but it's important to remove any ribbons or strings first. Mylar and other non-biodegradable balloons should be popped and disposed of in the trash. Never release balloons with strings attached as they can get tangled in trees or power lines.