Another Angular Velocity question

In summary: The Earth has a radius of 6.38 x 106 m and turns on its axis once every 23.9 h. (a) What is the tangential speed (in m/s) of a person living in Ecuador, a country that lies on the equator? (b) At what latitude (i.e., the angle in the figure, in degrees) is the tangential speed 1/4 that of a person living in Ecuador?
Lfrizz
The Earth has a radius of 6.38 x 106 m and turns on its axis once every 23.9 h. (a) What is the tangential speed (in m/s) of a person living in Ecuador, a country that lies on the equator? (b) At what latitude (i.e., the angle in the figure, in degrees) is the tangential speed 1/4 that of a person living in Ecuador?

From the question I got help with earlier, I think I know how to go about this, but I want to make sure.

use the equation v=d/t where d= 2[tex]\pi[/tex]r and r=6.38x106

I then convert the 23.9 hours into seconds and divide the d found above by the seconds

To find the latitude I have to find [tex]\theta[/tex] in this picture that I am not sure how to post here...
Question is, do I need to convert the radians to degrees to find [tex]\theta[/tex]?

Thank you!
L

Physics news on Phys.org
The method looks good.

You can do it in either radians or degrees. Make sure to check what mode your calculator is in. Usually Latitude is given in degrees.

Now I went and confused myself b/c I wasn't using the tangential variables... I THINK I need to divide v/4.

and I am confused how to get back to theta.

http://edugen.wiley.com/edugen/courses/crs2216/art/qb/qu/c08/ch08p_33.gif

It will be at a Latitude where the distance from the Earth's axis is 1/4 of what it is at the equator.

remember the equations linking the rotational counterparts with their linear equivalents:

[tex]v=r\omega[/tex]

Every point on the Earth has the same angular velocity [tex]\omega[/tex], but depending on the radius of the circular path which it traces, its tangential velocity will vary.

To have a tangential velocity 1/4 that of the point on the equator, r must be 1/4 of the radius at the equator since angular velocity is constant ([tex]\inline{\frac{1}{4} v=\frac{1}{4}r\omega}[/tex])

To find the angle at the point where the radius of the circular path is 1/4 of the Earth's radius...
DRAW A DIAGRAM! Assume the Earth is a circle and use simple right angle trig.

Last edited:
:) thank you, that helped alot-

I found [tex]\theta[/tex]=arccos(1/4)
because 2[tex]\pi[/tex]r (cos[tex]\theta[/tex])/t =1/4 2[tex]\pi[/tex]r/t

it came out to be 75.5 degrees

yep that's right =)

Yes !

yayyy

Related to Another Angular Velocity question

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is the rate of change of angular displacement with respect to time. It is a measure of how fast an object is rotating around a fixed axis.

2. How is angular velocity different from linear velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of rotational motion, while linear velocity is a measure of straight-line motion. Angular velocity is expressed in radians per second, while linear velocity is expressed in meters per second.

3. How is angular velocity calculated?

Angular velocity is calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement by the change in time. It is typically expressed in radians per second (rad/s).

4. What factors affect angular velocity?

The main factor that affects angular velocity is the force applied to the object. The greater the force, the faster the object will rotate. Other factors that can affect angular velocity include the mass and shape of the object.

5. What is the relationship between angular velocity and angular acceleration?

Angular velocity and angular acceleration are directly proportional. This means that the greater the angular acceleration, the faster the angular velocity will change, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the formula: angular acceleration = change in angular velocity / change in time.