Another amazing rescue (helicopter rescue on Mt Hood)

• Thread starter berkeman
  • Start date
In summary: That’s pretty dangerous territory.In summary, the skill of this Chinook pilot is amazing, being able to "land" the tail of his helicopter on the side of frozen Mt. Hood in Oregon so that rescuers could evacuate a climber who needed help (in several ways). We have some amazing folks working in rescue capacities, all over the world. Hats off to their skill and training.
berkeman
Mentor
Not quite the Thai cave rescue, but the skill of this Chinook pilot is amazing, being able to "land" the tail of his helicopter on the side of frozen Mt. Hood in Oregon so that rescuers could evacuate a climber who needed help (in several ways). We have some amazing folks working in rescue capacities, all over the world. Hats off to their skill and training. :smile:

https://www.kgw.com/video/news/local/mount-hood-summit-rescue/283-8188870

upload_2018-7-13_16-31-57.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-13_16-28-40.png
    upload_2018-7-13_16-28-40.png
    109.6 KB · Views: 474
  • upload_2018-7-13_16-31-57.png
    upload_2018-7-13_16-31-57.png
    93.2 KB · Views: 428
Likes Astronuc, jedishrfu, Charles Link and 2 others
Physics news on Phys.org
There’s a YouTube channel called the History Guy where he detailed a few daring rescues during WW2.

One was the first helicopter rescue of some airmen who bailed out in Japanese held territory.

And another was a sargeant and an injured nurse from an aboriginal tribe.

Likes berkeman
Pretty amazing flying skills. They can't land like this if the terrain is much steeper -- they risk breaking off the rotor blades.

I've been up Mt. Hood, but the location in the clip didn't look familiar. I wasn't able to find any details, either from the link or from a quick net search.

I'm not sure why they didn't just climb down -- were some of them injured? Mt. Hood is fairly well-known for rock falls. In any case, because Mt. Hood is so close to a large city (Portland, OR), a lot more people go up than really should, due to lack of climbing skills. People die on that mountain with some regularity.

Likes jedishrfu
Mark44 said:
I'm not sure why they didn't just climb down
The headlines read that the climber was suicidal, but I didn't read into the articles yet. If he was uncooperative, it may have been too dangerous to just try to climb down with him. I sure wouldn't trust him on my line or behind me... Glad they are all okay.

Likes jedishrfu
@Janus, the outlined area in the image you posted is pretty much the route another guy and I did back about 30 years ago. In the upper half of the rectangle is the Hogback leading up to the steepest part, called ominously the Pearly Gates. At the right edge in the upper half of the rectangle is Steel Cliff from which rocks peel off when the weather gets warm. When I climbed the peak, we started at around 12:30am. It was starting to get light when we were on the Hogback, with a cloud obscuring the summit. You could hear rocks whizzing down from the Steel Cliff. We were wearing helmets, so I figured unless a fairly large rock with our names on it happened to get us, we'd be OK.
It was clear at the top, with views south to Mt. Jefferson and beyond, and to the volcanoes north in Washington and the Olympics. After a short break at the summet we headed back down, glad to be done as the day grew warmer (with greater rockfall danger).

Likes berkeman
Yikes, that sounds pretty harrowing!

I don’t think I’d go if I’d known about falling rocks.

Related to Another amazing rescue (helicopter rescue on Mt Hood)

1. What happened during the helicopter rescue on Mt Hood?

The helicopter rescue on Mt Hood involved a group of climbers who became stranded on the mountain due to severe weather conditions. The climbers were unable to continue their ascent and needed assistance to safely descend the mountain.

2. How did the rescue team locate the stranded climbers?

The rescue team used GPS coordinates and communication with the climbers to determine their location on the mountain. They also used visual cues and aerial surveillance to pinpoint the exact location of the climbers.

3. Were the climbers injured during the rescue?

Fortunately, the climbers were not injured during the rescue. However, they were experiencing exhaustion and hypothermia due to the harsh weather conditions. The rescue team provided medical treatment and assistance to ensure their safety.

4. How long did the rescue operation take?

The rescue operation took several hours to complete. The weather conditions and the remote location of the climbers made the rescue challenging and time-consuming. The rescue team had to carefully plan and execute the operation to ensure the safety of everyone involved.

5. What safety precautions were taken during the helicopter rescue?

The rescue team followed strict safety protocols during the helicopter rescue, including proper communication and coordination, careful navigation of the helicopter, and proper use of safety equipment. They also made sure to assess and mitigate any potential risks during the operation.

Back