Another 2nd law Violation Thread

In summary, Physicist Daniel Sheehan has been actively researching and proposing challenges to the second law of thermodynamics, with more than two dozen challenges appearing in the scientific literature in the past 15 years. These challenges have raised the possibility that the second law may soon be shown violable in laboratory experiments. Sheehan's work also explores the potential ramifications of this violation, such as the recyclability of environmental heat into usable work. While some may view this as dubious, Sheehan's work is extensive and he has published multiple papers on the topic. However, there are still questions about the specifics of his proposed violations and the role of quantum mechanics in thermodynamics.
jmatejka
I recently attended this lecture by Physicist Daniel Sheehan, any opinions about the 2nd law soon violated in Laboratory Experiments? (and we are not talking about background fluctuations, etc).

Experimental Challenges to the
Second Law of Thermodynamics
D.P. Sheehan, University of San Diego
Abstract:

Over the last 15 years the absolute status of the second law of
thermodynamics has come under increased scrutiny. More than two dozen
distinct challenges have appeared in the refereed scientific
literature—more than the sum total over the previous 150 years—raising
the possibility that the second law might soon be shown violable in
laboratory experiments.

This talk will survey recently proposed challenges from a number of
research groups around the world, focusing on those most amenable to
laboratory test. Possible ramifications of second law violation will also be
discussed, the most significant of which might be the recyclability of
environmental heat into usable work. The thermal energy content of the
atmosphere, ocean, and upper crust is estimated to be more than 10,000
times that of the world's fossil fuel reserves, making it a potentially
inexhaustible reservoir of green energy.

1) “Challenges to the Second Law of Thermodynamics: Theory and
Experiment” V. Capek and D.P. Sheehan; Fundamental Theories of
Physics, Vol. 146 (Springer, Dordrecht, The Netherlands) 2005.

2) “Quantum Limits to the Second Law” D.P. Sheehan, Editor; AIP
Conference Proceedings, Vol. 643 (AIP, Melville, NY) 2002.

His work seems extensive, anyone aware of it? All opinions appreciated, Thanks, John

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see why that abstract mentions the total heat content of our surroundings: this thermal energy is constantly replenished. Even if we could freely violate the 2nd law and harness this energy for work (thereby cooling our surroundings), the work (or the friction involved) would simply reheat our surroundings. Since it's a perpetual cycle, it doesn't matter how big the store is.

Sounds dubiously extraordinary. Does he actually propose a specific violation? (Simply counting dozens of paradoxes is only meaningful if they haven't each been individually resolved..)

I like to think of thermodynamics from an extremely classical and practical viewpoint as I am a Mechanical Engineer and my interest is in heat engines.

In that regard, I'm 100% convinced that the 2nd law holds 100% of the time. However, when you get into quantum it becomes a huge mudfest. For me entropy is Q/T.

Related to Another 2nd law Violation Thread

What is the "Another 2nd law Violation Thread" about?

The "Another 2nd law Violation Thread" is a forum thread where people discuss and debate potential violations of the second law of thermodynamics, which states that the total entropy (or disorder) of a closed system will always increase over time.

What types of examples are typically discussed in the thread?

The thread often discusses scenarios where it may seem like the second law of thermodynamics is being violated, such as a decrease in entropy or an increase in order within a closed system. Some common examples include perpetual motion machines and organisms that seemingly defy the law by becoming more organized over time.

Are there any actual violations of the second law of thermodynamics?

So far, there have been no confirmed violations of the second law of thermodynamics. While there may be instances where it appears to be violated, there is always an underlying explanation that follows the law.

What do scientists think about the discussions in the thread?

Most scientists view the discussions in the thread as interesting thought experiments, but do not take them as serious scientific inquiries. The second law of thermodynamics is a well-established principle in the field of physics and there is no evidence to suggest that it has been violated.

Why is it important to understand and abide by the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics is a fundamental principle that governs many natural processes and is crucial for our understanding of the universe. By following this law, we can make accurate predictions about the behavior of systems and develop technologies that are in line with its principles.