Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

[SOLVED] Annoying Cursor Skipping

• Admin

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Using Chrome on WinXP.

Whenever I use italics or bold emphasis in the advanced editor (which I use by default - I don't know about other editors), after I close off the italics or bold portion, the cursor will have a tendency to skip back to that italicized or bolded portion, quite against my wishes. I know it's not me doing it, because this happens on a desktop computer, where my hand is nowhere near the mouse, and I'm just typing along, not using any movement keystrokes.

I'm not at all sure this problem extends to any other setup. I just know it's a problem with Chrome. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I know I have on multiple computers.

ZaidAlyafey

MHB Math Helper
Jan 17, 2013
If I understand the problem correctly then I have encountered the same thing in firefox .
Sometimes the cursor just plays with me when I try to undo bolding .

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
I use Firefox 18.0.2 with Windows 7, and I have experienced this too, but only when I copy and paste boldface text and attempt to change the formatting.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I have been using the "standard editor" apparently for some time so I'm not exactly following what's going on, but have just switched to the "enhanced editor" to try to replicate the problem.

Before whenever I wanted to use bold type I would use the bold BB tag like so: [B]text[/B]. Now that I am using the enhanced editor this isn't necessary it seems. The text will appear bold in the same input box in which I'm typing my message.

@Ackbach - What do you mean by "close off" the bold or italicized portion? Can you give me a more step by step walk-through of what you do/click when this happens?

Thank you!

• Admin

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I have been using the "standard editor" apparently for some time so I'm not exactly following what's going on, but have just switched to the "enhanced editor" to try to replicate the problem.

Before whenever I wanted to use bold type I would use the bold BB tag like so: [B]text[/B]. Now that I am using the enhanced editor this isn't necessary it seems. The text will appear bold in the same input box in which I'm typing my message.

@Ackbach - What do you mean by "close off" the bold or italicized portion? Can you give me a more step by step walk-through of what you do/click when this happens?

Thank you!
Sure. Here's what I do: I'm writing along, like this, in the advanced editor. Then I want to bold something; so I click the bold button up top (or do Ctrl-B), and type the word "bold". Then, when I finish typing the word "bold", I toggle the bold button off again (that's what I mean by "closing off" the bold), and continue writing in normal font. Then, about two or three words later, the cursor skips back to the middle of the bolded word, and because I have typing momentum, I usually end up overwriting some of the bolded word.

Have I answered your question?

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I don't seem to be able to replicate the problem, but I'm using a Mac. I'll try a PC later on today.

We all have our own habits in terms of formatting and I don't like proposing others change them but until I can replicate the problem and try to ask about it I have the following suggestion.

If you bold a word using Ctr-B two times then that is 4 keystrokes and a small amount of wait time on either end. If you click "B" in the editor toolbar two times then that's only two clicks and a small amount of wait time on either end. My proposal is that you write out the sentence and then you highlight the word, or phrase, and finally click the "B" button just once or hit Ctr-B just once. That will at worst be just as fast and at best be a little faster.

• Admin

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I don't seem to be able to replicate the problem, but I'm using a Mac. I'll try a PC later on today.

We all have our own habits in terms of formatting and I don't like proposing others change them but until I can replicate the problem and try to ask about it I have the following suggestion.

If you bold a word using Ctr-B two times then that is 4 keystrokes and a small amount of wait time on either end. If you click "B" in the editor toolbar two times then that's only two clicks and a small amount of wait time on either end. My proposal is that you write out the sentence and then you highlight the word, or phrase, and finally click the "B" button just once or hit Ctr-B just once. That will at worst be just as fast and at best be a little faster.
OK. Testing this procedure out. I'm going to bold this word, and then continue on. Continuing on, I am attempting to see if the cursor skips to the middle of the bolded word. It does not seem to do so. So apparently, if you bold a single word that's in the middle of unbolded text, this problem does not come up.

• Admin

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I'm not going to mark this as solved yet, because it's obviously incorrect behavior. However, kudos to Jameson for a work-around! It'll take less time for the work-around than it will to correct the mis-typing that results from the skipping.

Cheers.

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
I am going to try the method outlined by Ackbach. I have boldfaced his name "on the fly" and my cursor behaves normally.

Now, I will simply bold this word also on the fly, and my cursor continues to behave normally.

Bolding a word at the beginning of a sentence, and still the cursor behaves normally.

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I am going to try the method outlined by Ackbach. I have boldfaced his name "on the fly" and my cursor behaves normally.

Now, I will simply bold this word also on the fly, and my cursor continues to behave normally.

Bolding a word at the beginning of a sentence, and still the cursor behaves normally.
So that's Firefox with Windows 7. Good to know.

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
Hi everyone, :)

I have never encountered this issue. I use Firefox 18.0.2 on Windows XP.

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Marking this thread [SOLVED] as I believe this issue was related to the enhanced editor. Ackbach switched to the standard editor recently and I haven't heard of any issues so I'm hoping this problem and some other reported issues have been resolved by using the standard editor. If not, I'll unmark the thread as [SOLVED] and continue looking into the problem.

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Marking this thread [SOLVED] as I believe this issue was related to the enhanced editor. Ackbach switched to the standard editor recently and I haven't heard of any issues so I'm hoping this problem and some other reported issues have been resolved by using the standard editor. If not, I'll unmark the thread as [SOLVED] and continue looking into the problem.
Now if only you could fix this issue in gmail...