Is it Safe to Touch Wall Outlet Plus?

• Thread starter david90
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electrical
In summary, if you only touch the + terminal of your wall outlet would it shock you? If your feet are not touching the ground or the carpet, you will not get shocked. Shoes are not good insulators and you can get shocked if you are wearing them and touch the + terminal at the same time.
david90
if u only touch the + of ur wall outlet would it shock u? What if ur feet are not touching the ground or carpet?

Physics news on Phys.org
Electricity requires a potential DIFFERENCE to flow. If your entire body is at the same potential, no current flows anywhere.

Potential is also a quantity that only has meaning in terms of a difference. You're free to select the "zero" of potential anywhere you'd like.

If you touch the + terminal of a 1000V battery, you're at potential of 1000V with respect to the - terminal. Of course, you're also at a potential of 0V with respect to the + terminal. Both descriptions are perfectly valid and correct.

All that being said, I'd advise you not to go grabbing the hot wire in your house's electrical system -- 120V can jump across sizeable air gaps, and you'd have a really hard time truly isolating yourself from ground.

- Warren

The answer lies in what happens to birds sitting on a power line.

If you do not provide a path to ground or nuetral you will not get shocked.

Will i get shock if I'm wearing tenis shoes and touch the + at the same time? Since shoes are good insulator, i shouldn't get shock right? Does cerment conduct electricity? I'm guessing all things conduct if the potential is high enough.

So how come birds doesn't get shock when pirch on power lines? Is it possible for them to get shock even though they are not touching the ground or other wires?

Last edited:
Birds don’t get shocked when they perch on power lines because they do not provide a good path for the electricity to get to the ground. As said above electricity requires a potential difference to flow. A physical analogy is close to this. Let's say you wanted to drop a ball from some height to the floor. You let the ball fall. I will fall until it hits the ground. Applying this to electricity. Have you ever seen a squirrel running across a power line after a storm? Personally I haven't but I can guess. The wet squirrel unlike the bird can provide an excellent path for the electricity when crossing from the power lines (high potential with respect to ground) so some other object, tree or pole (ground). Anyway there would not be much let of the squirrel. Lesson to be learned, ahhh "better squirrel trap"?

1. Is it safe to touch a wall outlet?

Generally, it is not safe to touch a wall outlet. Wall outlets carry electrical current and can cause electric shock if touched. It is important to use caution and follow safety guidelines when handling wall outlets.

2. What safety precautions should I take when touching a wall outlet?

Some safety precautions to take when touching a wall outlet include making sure your hands are dry, using insulated tools, and turning off the power source before touching the outlet. It is also important to regularly check for any visible damage to the outlet and have it repaired or replaced if necessary.

3. Can I touch a wall outlet if the power is turned off?

It is generally safe to touch a wall outlet if the power is turned off. However, it is still important to exercise caution and follow safety precautions to avoid any potential risks.

4. What should I do if I get an electric shock from a wall outlet?

If you experience an electric shock from a wall outlet, seek medical attention immediately. Even if the shock seems minor, it is important to get checked by a medical professional to ensure there are no underlying injuries.

5. Are all wall outlets the same level of safety?

No, not all wall outlets are the same level of safety. The safety of a wall outlet depends on its age, condition, and whether it is up to code. It is important to regularly check and maintain your wall outlets to ensure they are safe to use.