Annihilator of a Quotient Ring

In summary, the annihilator of a number $a'$ and $b'$ of the quotient ring $R=\mathbb{Z}/(a'b')$ is the ideal generated by $b+ (ab)$ in the quotient.
Sudharaka
Gold Member
MHB
Hi everyone, :)

I think I need to refresh my memory about annihilators and quotient rings. Hope you can help me with the following example.

I want to find the annihilator of $a'$ and $b'$ of the quotient ring $R=\mathbb{Z}/(a'b')$ where $a',\,b'>1$. So if I go by the definition, $ann(a')=\{r\in \mathbb{R}\mid a'r=0\}=\{a' \mathbb{Z}+b' \mathbb{Z}+(a'\,b')\in \mathbb{R}\mid a'(a' \mathbb{Z}+b'\mathbb{Z})=0\}$Am I correct unto this point?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sudharaka said:

I think I need to refresh my memory about annihilators and quotient rings. Hope you can help me with the following example.

I want to find the annihilator of $a'$ and $b'$ of the quotient ring $R=\mathbb{Z}/(a'b')$ where $a',\,b'>1$. So if I go by the definition, $ann(a')=\{r\in \mathbb{R}\mid a'r=0\}=\{a' \mathbb{Z}+b' \mathbb{Z}+(a'\,b')\in \mathbb{R}\mid a'(a' \mathbb{Z}+b'\mathbb{Z})=0\}$Am I correct unto this point?

Since I was in a hurry to find the answer to this question I posted this on StackExchange and I got an answer to this there.

>>Link to Thread<<

Your first post is rather jumbled, and the notation is weird.

Suppose $R = \Bbb Z/(ab)$. I think by:

$a'$ you must mean $a' = a + (ab) \in \Bbb Z/(ab)$.

If we want to know what:

$\text{ann}(a') = \{k + (ab) \in \Bbb Z/(ab): (k + (ab))(a + (ab)) = 0 + (ab)\}$

is, this is the same thing as asking:

For what $k \in \Bbb Z$ do we have:

$ka \equiv 0\text{ (mod }ab)$?

The first thing to notice about this, is that if gcd(k,ab) = 1, this will never happen.

On the other hand, it is obvious that if $k \equiv tb\text{ (mod }ab)$ it will ALWAYS happen.

Now, if:

$(k + (ab))(a + (ab)) = ka + (ab) = (ab)$

it is necessarily the case that $ka \in (ab)$. This means that:

$ka = tab$ for some integer $t$. The integers are cancellative, so we can deduce from this that:

$k = tb$, which is the same thing as saying $k \in (b)$.

Thus $k' \in \text{ann}(a') \iff k \in (b)$, that is:

$\text{ann}(a') = (b') =$ the ideal generated by $b + (ab)$ in the quotient.

Let's look at a specific example, to see how this actually goes down:

Let $a = 4, b = 6$, and we shall work mod 24. As we saw above, we need not consider the congruence class (cosets) of:

1,5,7,11,13,17,19,23 which only leaves 16 cosets to check.

It is immediate that 0,6,12,18 all annihilate 4 (or rather the coset of 4), so we need only show that:

2,3,4,8,9,10,14,15,16,20,21,22 do NOT annihilate 4. This can be done explicitly:

2*4 = 8
3*4 = 12
8*4 = 8
9*4 = 12
10*4 = 16
14*4 = 8
15*4 = 12
16*4 = 16
20*4 = 8
21*4 = 12
22*4 = 16

so it is indeed the case that 6 generates the annihilator.

Related to Annihilator of a Quotient Ring

1. What is the annihilator of a quotient ring?

The annihilator of a quotient ring is a subset of the original ring that consists of all elements that "annihilate" or produce the zero element when multiplied with any element in the quotient ring.

2. How is the annihilator of a quotient ring calculated?

The annihilator of a quotient ring is calculated by finding the ideal of the original ring that contains all elements that produce the zero element when multiplied with any element in the quotient ring.

3. Why is the concept of the annihilator of a quotient ring important?

The concept of the annihilator of a quotient ring is important because it allows us to understand the structure and properties of quotient rings. It also helps in solving equations and proving theorems related to quotient rings.

4. Can the annihilator of a quotient ring be empty?

Yes, it is possible for the annihilator of a quotient ring to be empty. This happens when the original ring is a field or a division ring, where every element has a multiplicative inverse and there are no elements that produce the zero element when multiplied with any element in the quotient ring.

5. How does the annihilator of a quotient ring relate to the ideal of the original ring?

The annihilator of a quotient ring is a subset of the ideal of the original ring. The ideal of the original ring contains all elements that produce the zero element when multiplied with any element in the quotient ring, while the annihilator only contains the minimal set of elements necessary to achieve this property.