Angular velocity using Newton's law

In summary, the y-axis should be at 60 degrees, but it isn't because you have a typo in your equation.
Huumah

Homework Statement

Small object of mass m is placed on the inner surface of the conical dish which can rotate with angular speed ω.

For μ=0.3 calculate the minumum and the maximum ω such that the object is remains at rest. Solve the problem using the indicated axes x-y.

Do the following steps:
(a) Show all forces acting on the object and and the acceleration
(b) Write Newton’s second law along both axes and solve.
pHuhr.png

Homework Equations

F=ma=m*ω2*r

The Attempt at a Solution

je6Ro.png

I have plugged in numbers and got answers for ωmax and ωmin but I don't get the right answer.
I have solved it right when I choose axis the ordinary X-Y axis but I need to know how to solve with using the other axis mentioned in the problem

The right answer is
ωmax=7.214 rad/s and ωmin =3.405 rad/s

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your equation for both the X and Y direction is wrong.
You have taken the wrong component of mg and mω2r along the X direction. In the RHS, it won't be completely mω2r, it will be some component of this force. Make a free body diagram.

hbs29.png

In my free body diagram i have the fricton coefficent on both sides because it can go both upwards and downwards.

I don't really get what I should do on the right hand side for mω2*r

I have been trying for a few hours now and I am completely lost now.

Huumah said:
In my free body diagram i have the fricton coefficent on both sides because it can go both upwards and downwards.
Correct!
I don't really get what I should do on the right hand side for mω2*r
The force mω2r doesn't act in the X direction, so you will have to take its component along the X direction and solve.
See the image below, that should help you.
5bxqfc.png

Thanks very much.

I did not know in what direction the ω2 force was heading. Tried to read it in my physics book but english is not my first language so i didn't understand it.

I feel like I'm getting closer but there is something wrong in my 2 equations because I can't solve them ( because there is something wrong with them)

Can you give my a hint, Sir?
r5m4p.png

Huumah said:
I did not know in what direction the ω2 force was heading. Tried to read it in my physics book but english is not my first language so i didn't understand it.
ω2r is the centripetal acceleration. Don't think of mω2r as a force, but as mass*acceleration. (View things from the usual inertial frame.)

I feel like I'm getting closer but there is something wrong in my 2 equations because I can't solve them ( because there is something wrong with them)
Why can't you solve them? Eliminate N. (I think you have one of your angles wrong.)

I always got an error when i tried to solve it using wolfram alpha.

I just probably had a silly typo because it worked when I typed it in again.

I got it right when i changed the angle to 30° in the formula for y axis.

But I still don't get why it is not 60° in the y-axis formula.

Anyway thank you both so much for the help. Such a lovely community.

Huumah said:
I got it right when i changed the angle to 30° in the formula for y axis.

But I still don't get why it is not 60° in the y-axis formula.
The angle between mg and your y-axis is 30 degrees; the angle between mω2r and your y-axis is 60 degrees. And sin(30)=cos(60) & sin(60)=cos(30).

Related to Angular velocity using Newton's law

1. What is Angular Velocity?

Angular velocity is the rate at which an object rotates or moves around a fixed point, measured in radians per second. It is a vector quantity that takes into account both the speed and direction of the rotation.

2. How is Angular Velocity calculated?

Angular velocity is calculated by dividing the change in angle by the change in time. It can also be calculated by multiplying the angular speed (in radians per second) by the radius of the circle.

3. What is the relationship between Angular Velocity and Newton's Law?

Angular velocity is related to Newton's Law of Motion through the concept of torque. According to Newton's Second Law, the net torque acting on an object is equal to its moment of inertia (a measure of its resistance to rotational motion) multiplied by its angular acceleration.

4. How can Angular Velocity be used in real-world applications?

Angular velocity is used in many real-world applications, including engineering, robotics, and astronomy. It can be used to calculate the speed and direction of rotating objects, such as wheels on a car or motion of planets around the sun.

5. What are the units of measurement for Angular Velocity?

The units of measurement for angular velocity are radians per second (rad/s) or degrees per second (deg/s). In some cases, revolutions per minute (RPM) may also be used.