Angular velocity of falling box

In summary, the conversation is about preparing a computer software for an academic project that simulates the fall of a rotating object. The angular velocity at the horizontal point is given as ω = √(3g/L) and the goal is to calculate the angular velocity at every angle from 90° to 180°. The discussion also touches on the concept of energy conservation and finding the center of rotation for precise calculations. The conversation ends with a discrepancy between the expected and actual results on the graph of ω.
GeorgeM
Hi,

I'm preparing a computer software to simulate the fall of an object for an academic project. The object is rotating (not rolling) over the circular bottom point. I know that the angular velocity at the horizontal point is ω = √(3g/L). I would like to calculate the angular velocity at every angle (from 90° to 180°). Can you please provide a simple formula for this?

Thanks

Attachments

• image0.png
    image0.png
    268 bytes · Views: 405
  • image1.png
    image1.png
    550 bytes · Views: 419
Physics news on Phys.org
It is your project.
Energy conservation should work. For every rotation angle, you can calculate the potential energy, the difference to the original value got converted to kinetic energy.

Likes GeorgeM
So, you are proposing the following:

The difference in PE is equal to the KE, that is ΔPE = KE.
Ex: PE1 - PE2 = ½ m⋅v2
Then I solve for v, but this v is the vector from the COM to the ground. Will then have to calculate ω.
Or else, use the angular KE?
Is that right?

Last edited:
The kinetic energy of a rotating object is not 1/2 m v^2. You'll have to find the center of rotation and the moment of inertia around it, or sum rotational energy (around a different point) plus lateral motion.

Yes, my mistake, KE = ½⋅I⋅ω2
May I ask what you mean by the centre of rotation? Is this the pivot point on the ground?

GeorgeM said:
Yes, my mistake, KE = ½⋅I⋅ω2
If you measure I around a point that does not move, yes. But then I depends on the angle if you want to be precise.
May I ask what you mean by the centre of rotation? Is this the pivot point on the ground?
Yes.

mfb said:
But then I depends on the angle if you want to be precise
Is this because of the opposite forces of the rotating body towards the rotation point? Can you clarify this please?

The point that has contact to the surface changes over time.

Hi again,
I did the calculations on my software, but the graph of ω is not what I expect. See series 1 on attached image (x axis =frame no, y-axis = ω).
It should show a slower increase in acceleration at the beginning of the fall. Any ideas?

Attachments

• diag.jpg
    diag.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 424
Where is series 1?
Yes, acceleration should increase over time.

Yes, series 1, but it shouldn't accelerate at this step. It should look like the attached image. Notice that for the first frames/angles the velocity is not as accelerated as on the later frames/angles. I think something is missing here...

Attachments

• ejs-graph.jpg
    ejs-graph.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 424
GeorgeM said:
Yes, series 1
I don't see series 1 there. Just 2, 3 and 4.

Is only series 1 in the graph at post #11

GeorgeM said:
Is only series 1 in the graph at post #11

you are still not understanding mfb's comment

there is NO series 1 plotted in your graph, only series 2, 3, and 4

so where is the series 1 data ?D

There IS one series in ejs-graph-jpg

Yes, but that graph shows the expected result. So where is the problem? The attachment of post 9, where you discussed the problem with "series 1", does not have a series 1.

Related to Angular velocity of falling box

1. What is angular velocity of a falling box?

Angular velocity of a falling box refers to the rate at which the box is rotating as it falls towards the ground. It is typically measured in radians per second.

2. How is angular velocity of a falling box calculated?

Angular velocity of a falling box can be calculated by dividing the angular displacement (change in angle) by the time it takes for the box to fall. It can also be calculated by multiplying the linear velocity (speed) of the box by the radius of rotation.

3. Does the mass of the box affect its angular velocity?

No, the mass of the box does not directly affect its angular velocity. However, the mass can indirectly affect the box's angular velocity if it affects the box's air resistance or rotational inertia.

4. How does the angle of rotation affect the angular velocity of a falling box?

The angle of rotation does not directly affect the angular velocity of a falling box. However, the angle of rotation can affect the box's acceleration due to gravity and thus indirectly affect its angular velocity.

5. Can the angular velocity of a falling box change?

Yes, the angular velocity of a falling box can change if there is a change in the factors that affect it, such as the box's mass, air resistance, or angle of rotation. It can also change if there is a change in the box's rotational inertia, which depends on its shape and distribution of mass.