Angular Velocity of Ballistic Cylinder After Bullet Impact

In summary, the problem involves a 15.0 g bullet with a velocity of 456.1 m/s being fired into a solid cylinder with a mass of 21.1 kg and a radius of 0.31 m. The cylinder is initially at rest and mounted on a fixed vertical axis. The bullet strikes the cylinder at a distance of 6.20 cm from the center, and the goal is to find the angular velocity of the system after the collision. The relevant equations used are L=r x p, I=c*M*L^2, and L=Iw, and the attempt at a solution involves finding L, calculating I, and dividing L by I. Additional details and assistance are requested.
Ron Burgundy

Homework Statement

A 15.0 g bullet is fired at 456.1 m/s into a solid cylinder of mass 21.1 kg and a radius 0.31 m. The cylinder is initially at rest and is mounted on fixed vertical axis that runs through it's center of mass.
The line of motion of the bullet is perpendicular to the axle and at a distance 6.20 cm from the center. Find the angular velocity of the system after the bullet strikes and adheres to the surface of the cylinder.

Homework Equations

L=r x p
I=c*M*L^2
L=Iw

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to first find L by r*p*cos(theta). Then I calculated I, which I calculate to be 1.01. Then I divided L by I but it did not work. Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Show your calculation in detail.

ehild

Related to Angular Velocity of Ballistic Cylinder After Bullet Impact

1. What is the definition of angular velocity?

Angular velocity is the rate of change of angular displacement of an object with respect to time. It is commonly measured in radians per second (rad/s) or revolutions per minute (rpm).

2. How is the angular velocity of a ballistic cylinder after a bullet impact calculated?

The angular velocity of a ballistic cylinder after a bullet impact can be calculated using the formula: ω = v/r where ω is the angular velocity, v is the velocity of the bullet, and r is the radius of the cylinder.

3. Does the mass of the bullet affect the angular velocity of the ballistic cylinder?

Yes, the mass of the bullet does affect the angular velocity of the ballistic cylinder. A heavier bullet will have a greater impact force, resulting in a higher angular velocity of the cylinder.

4. How does the angle of impact affect the angular velocity of the ballistic cylinder?

The angle of impact can affect the angular velocity of the ballistic cylinder in different ways. If the bullet strikes the cylinder perpendicularly, it will cause a higher angular velocity compared to an oblique impact. The angle of impact can also change the direction of the cylinder's rotation.

5. What factors can influence the angular velocity of a ballistic cylinder after a bullet impact?

Apart from the mass and angle of impact, other factors that can influence the angular velocity of a ballistic cylinder after a bullet impact include the shape and material of the cylinder, the velocity and type of the bullet, and any external forces acting on the cylinder.