Angular velocity for a physical pendulum

In summary, the conversation discussed a physical pendulum with two masses at different distances from the pivot point, and the goal of finding the angular velocity at the equilibrium position without using a specific method. The conversation also mentioned other possible ways to solve the problem, such as conservation of energy and Newton's laws, but also brought up the use of Lagrangian dynamics which may require prior knowledge.
NooDota

Homework Statement

I have a physical pendulum made of a leg which mass is ignored, with a length of 1m, two objects of mass are placed on the bottom and the top of the leg, the first with a mass of m1= m1, and the second with a mass of m2= 3m1, both are L/2 away from the pivot point.

It's swayed to an angle of 60 from the equilibrium position, and left to sway with no initial velocity.

Find the angular velocity the moment it goes through the equilibrium position.

Is there any way to find the angular velocity without using ΔEk a⇒b=∑W(F a⇒b)? I don't want to use that.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Conservation of energy is the simplest approach.

But the teacher said there is no other possible way to solve it, is this true?

NooDota said:
But the teacher said there is no other possible way to solve it, is this true?

There are other possible ways to solve it, but they may involve math and physics approaches most introductory students (and some teachers) have not learned yet.

Can you name some?

I'm not aiming to actually find the velocity, but to know any other approaches to find it for personal knowledge. I'm not even allowed to use any methods outside the course book, even if they're correct.

Thanks.

What prior knowledge do I need/should have before learning lagrangian dynamics?

Related to Angular velocity for a physical pendulum

1. What is angular velocity for a physical pendulum?

Angular velocity for a physical pendulum is the measure of how fast the pendulum is rotating around its axis. It is represented by the Greek letter omega (ω) and is measured in radians per second.

2. How is angular velocity different from linear velocity?

Angular velocity measures the rotational speed of a body, while linear velocity measures the speed at which an object moves in a straight line. These two types of velocity are related, but they represent different types of motion.

3. How is angular velocity calculated for a physical pendulum?

The formula for calculating angular velocity for a physical pendulum is ω = √(g/L) * sinθ, where g is the acceleration due to gravity, L is the length of the pendulum, and θ is the angle from the vertical at which the pendulum is released.

4. What factors can affect the angular velocity of a physical pendulum?

The angular velocity of a physical pendulum can be affected by the length of the pendulum, the angle at which it is released, the mass of the pendulum, and the force of gravity.

5. Why is angular velocity important in studying physical pendulums?

Angular velocity is important in studying physical pendulums because it helps us understand the motion and behavior of the pendulum. It can also be used to calculate other important variables, such as the period and frequency of the pendulum's oscillations.