Angular velocity - different ans by conserv E and momentum

In summary, the question asks about the increase in angular velocity of a pirouetting skater who halves his moment of inertia by pulling in his arms and legs closer to his axis of rotation. The attempt at solving the problem using conservation of momentum and conservation of energy yields different answers. However, it is not possible to apply conservation of angular kinetic energy in this scenario. This is because as the skater pulls his arms and legs closer to his body, he is doing work against the centripetal force, which results in an increase in rotational kinetic energy. Thus, the increase in angular velocity is due to the skater providing the centripetal force, which results in work being done and an increase in rotational kinetic energy.
catkin
[SOLVED] Angular velocity - different ans by conserv E and momentum

Homework Statement

This is Advanced Physics by Adams and Allday, spread 3.31, question 3.

A pirouetting skater halves his moment of inertia by pulling in his arms and legs closer to his axis of rotation.
a) By what factor does his angular velocity increase?

Homework Equations

Angular momentum [itex]L = I \omega[/itex]

Rotational kinetic energy [itex]R.K.E. = 0.5 I {\omega}^2[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I think this problem is soluable by either conservation of momentum or conservation of energy but I get different answers using these methods.

Using subscript 1 to denote the skater's initial state and subscript 2 to denote the skater's final state,

by conservation of energy

[tex]L_1 = L_2[/tex]

[tex]I_1 {\omega}_1 = I_2 {\omega}_2 [/tex]

[tex]I_1 {\omega}_1 = 0.5 I_1 {\omega}_2 [/tex]

[tex]\frac {{\omega}_2} {{\omega}_1} = \frac {I_1} {0.5 I_1}[/tex]

[tex]\frac {{\omega}_2} {{\omega}_1} = 2[/tex]

by conservation of energy

[tex]R.K.E._1 = R.K.E._2[/tex]

[tex]0.5 I_1 {\omega_1}^2 = 0.5 I_2 {\omega_2}^2 [/tex]

[tex]I_1 {\omega_1}^2 = (0.5 I_1) {\omega_2}^2 [/tex]

[tex]{\omega_1}^2 = 0.5 {\omega_2}^2 [/tex]

[tex]\frac {{\omega_2}^2} {{\omega_1}^2} = 2[/tex]

[tex]\frac {\omega_2} {\omega_1} = \sqrt{2}[/tex]

What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You cannot apply conservation of angular kinetic energy here since kinetic energy is not conserved.

Thanks Hootenanny. OK. If it is not conserved then where does it go?

catkin said:
Thanks Hootenanny. OK. If it is not conserved then where does it go?
How does the skater change his moment of inertia?

Ah ha! Many thanks.

As he pulls elements of his mass toward the axis he is doing work against the centripetal force.

catkin said:
As he pulls elements of his mass toward the axis he is doing work against the centripetal force.
Now, how can that possibly be? In what direction does the centripetal force act?

Thanks for sticking with me on this :-)

The centripetal force acts toward the axis (so it provides the centripetal acceleration that makes the elements of mass move in a circle).

Step by step (I think I went too fast) ...

"How does the skater change his moment of inertia?" By "compacting" his body, that is by bringing the outer parts (masses) closer to the axis. OK?

If his arms are initially horizontal, the tension in his wrists is providing the centripetal force on his hands. OK?

And now I'm stuck.

catkin said:
Thanks for sticking with me on this :-)
No worries :smile:
catkin said:
The centripetal force acts toward the axis (so it provides the centripetal acceleration that makes the elements of mass move in a circle).
Spot on
catkin said:
"How does the skater change his moment of inertia?" By "compacting" his body, that is by bringing the outer parts (masses) closer to the axis. OK?
Sounds good :approve:
catkin said:
If his arms are initially horizontal, the tension in his wrists is providing the centripetal force on his hands. OK?
Yup
catkin said:
And now I'm stuck.
So to bring his arms in, the skater must exert a force on his arms so...

catkin said:
It's not that he's working against the centripetal force but that he's providing the centripetal force ...

As he pulls elements of his mass toward the axis he is providing the centripetal force. This is force and movement in the direction of the force so work is done. The energy represented by this work goes into the R.K.E.

OK now?

Last edited:
catkin said:
It's not that he's working against the centripetal force but that he's providing the centripetal force ...

As he pulls elements of his mass toward the axis he is providing the centripetal force. This is force and movement in the direction of the force so work is done. The energy represented by this work goes into the R.K.E.

OK now?
Spot on :approve:

And spot on help, thanks! :)

Related to Angular velocity - different ans by conserv E and momentum

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of the rate at which an object rotates or revolves around a fixed axis. It is typically measured in radians per second or degrees per second.

2. How is angular velocity different from linear velocity?

Angular velocity measures the rate of rotation around an axis, while linear velocity measures the rate of change in position of an object in a straight line. Angular velocity also takes into account the direction of rotation, while linear velocity does not.

3. What is the conservation of angular momentum?

The conservation of angular momentum states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant, unless acted upon by an external torque. This means that in a closed system, the initial angular momentum will be equal to the final angular momentum.

4. How does angular velocity affect the conservation of energy?

Angular velocity plays a role in the conservation of energy through the concept of rotational kinetic energy. This is the energy an object possesses due to its rotation, and it is directly proportional to the square of the angular velocity. Therefore, changes in angular velocity can affect the conservation of energy in a system.

5. Can angular velocity change without a change in momentum?

Yes, it is possible for angular velocity to change without a change in momentum. This can occur when an external torque is applied to a rotating object, causing a change in angular velocity but not in the object's momentum. This is because torque is a measure of the change in angular momentum over time, not the change in angular velocity itself.