Angular Velocity Calculation for a Ballistic Cylinder with a Fired Bullet

Before the bullet strikes, the cylinder is at rest and has no angular velocity. Therefore, the initial angular momentum (L) of the system is zero. After the bullet strikes and adheres to the surface of the cylinder, the total mass of the system increases to (M + m) and the radius of rotation decreases to 0.09 m (from 0.45 m). Using the formula for angular momentum (L = Iω) and substituting the values for the moment of inertia (I) of a solid cylinder (MR^2) and the linear velocity (v) of the bullet (396.1 m/s) divided by the radius (0.45 m), we get:L = (MR^2)
Punchlinegirl
A 14.0 g bulllet is fired at 396.1 m/s into a solid cylinder of mass 18.1 kg and a radius 0.45 m. The cylinder is initially at rest and is mounted on a fixed vertical axis that runs through it's center of mass. The line of motion of the bullet is perpendicular to the axle and at a distance 9.00 cm from the center. Find the angular velocity of the system after the bullet strikes and adheres to the surface of the cylinder.
First I converted the velocity to angular velocity by dividing by the radius.
I used conservation of angular momentum
[tex] (MR^2) \omega = (MR^2 + (1/2)MR^2) \omega [/tex]
(.14)(.09)(880.2) =((.14)(.09^2) + (1/2)(18.1)(.45^2)) \omega [/tex]
Solving for omega gave me .545 which wasn't right.. can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Conservation of momentum (mv = (M+m)v') will get a linear speed, which can be converted to rotational speed if I am remembering right...:rolleyes:

(.14)(.09)(880.2) =((.14)(.09^2) + (1/2)(18.1)(.45^2))

You lost a square on the .09 on the left side...

initial L should be .5 [m.kg.m/s] , (easiest by r x p) ... your omega_i is off.
Also, 14 gram = 0.014 kg .

Last edited:
Can you explain to me how you got the .5 for the initial L?

Related to Angular Velocity Calculation for a Ballistic Cylinder with a Fired Bullet

What is a ballistic cylinder?

A ballistic cylinder is a type of projectile that is cylindrical in shape and designed to be launched through the air at high speeds, typically through the use of a firearm or other propelling device.

What materials are commonly used to make ballistic cylinders?

Ballistic cylinders are usually made from strong and durable materials such as metal, plastic, or composite materials. These materials are chosen for their ability to withstand the high forces and pressures involved in the launch and flight of the projectile.

What factors affect the trajectory of a ballistic cylinder?

The trajectory of a ballistic cylinder is influenced by several factors, including the initial velocity of the projectile, the angle at which it is launched, the air resistance it encounters, and the forces acting on it during flight.

What is the difference between a ballistic cylinder and a regular cylinder?

A regular cylinder is a solid object with a circular cross-section, while a ballistic cylinder is specifically designed to be launched through the air at high speeds. A regular cylinder is not necessarily designed for this purpose and may not have the same aerodynamic properties as a ballistic cylinder.

What are some real-world applications of ballistic cylinders?

Ballistic cylinders have a wide range of applications, including in firearms, artillery, rockets, and other military weapons. They are also used in sports such as paintball and airsoft, as well as in scientific research and experiments involving high-speed projectiles.