Angular Velocity and Inertia in a Collision

In summary: so in summary, an object of mass 5 kg and length 2.2 m rotates about a vertical axis at rest with an angular velocity of 70 degrees after a collision with a putty ball moving at 20 m/s.
corey2014

Homework Statement

A uniform thin rod of length L=2.2 m and mass 5 kg can rotate in a horizontal plane about a vertical axis through its center. The rod is at rest when a 0.2 kg ball of putty, moving in the horizontal plane of the rod, hits and sticks to one end. As viewed from above, the ball's velocity vector makes an angle of θ =70° with the rod. If the ball's speed just before impact is 20 m/s, what is the angular velocity of the rod immediately after the collision?

Homework Equations

KE=.5mv^2
KE=1/12*M*L^2*w^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought this was pretty straightforward, unless I have my formulas wrong, but we just plug the numbers in... and M = 5+.2... right? because energy is conserved...

Physics news on Phys.org
Energy is not conserved here. The putty sticks to the rod, it is kind of inelastic collision.

ehild

so then am I supposed to use m1*u1+m2*u2=(m1+m2)v2?

No, the momentum does not conserve either, as there is a force (at the axis) during the collision.
The conserving quantity is : angular momentum

ehild

ok so angular momentum where we have L=I(omega), but then the momentum coming in would be 20(.02)? also does I=mr^2/12

You need the angular momentum of the putty, which is m v r sin(θ), r is the distance from the centre of the point where the putty strikes the rod.

The moment of inertia of the rod is OK. Bit you need to take into account also the contribution of the putty to the final moment of inertia.

ehild

ok so what I tried to do is I took mvrsin(theta)=I(omega)
then substituting in and solving for omega i get (omega)=mvrsin(theta)/((1/12)MD^2+mr^2)

where m=.2kg
M=5kg
v=20m/s
r=2.2/2=1.1m
D=2.2m
theta=70deg

I thought this was right but I am not getting the correct answer
I get (omega)=1.83rad/sec, but that doesn't work

There could be an error in there program also...

then I tried with r replacing the D value and it still didn't work

Last edited:
It must be correct. Do you have the solution in the book?

ehild

no its an online problem... and the first case would be correct yes?

also, thanks for the help

Yes, 1.83 rad/s should be correct.

ehild

Related to Angular Velocity and Inertia in a Collision

What is angular velocity with inertia?

Angular velocity with inertia is a measure of how fast an object is rotating around a fixed axis, taking into account its mass and distribution of mass. It is typically represented by the symbol "ω" and is measured in radians per second.

How is angular velocity with inertia calculated?

The formula for calculating angular velocity with inertia is ω = I * α, where ω is the angular velocity, I is the moment of inertia, and α is the angular acceleration. The moment of inertia is determined by the mass and distribution of mass of the object, and the angular acceleration is the change in angular velocity over time.

What is the relationship between angular velocity with inertia and linear velocity?

Angular velocity with inertia and linear velocity are related through the formula v = ω * r, where v is the linear velocity, ω is the angular velocity, and r is the distance from the object to the axis of rotation. This shows that as the angular velocity increases, the linear velocity also increases, and vice versa.

How does inertia affect angular velocity?

Inertia plays a crucial role in determining the angular velocity of an object. Objects with a higher moment of inertia require more force to rotate and therefore have a lower angular velocity compared to objects with a lower moment of inertia. This is because more mass is located farther from the axis of rotation, making it more difficult to rotate.

What are some real-world applications of angular velocity with inertia?

Angular velocity with inertia has many practical applications, such as in the design of car engines, airplanes, and satellites. It is also used in sports equipment, such as golf clubs and tennis rackets, to optimize the rotation of the object for maximum performance. Additionally, it is an important concept in understanding the motion of celestial bodies and the rotation of the Earth.