Angular Velo, Tangential Acceleration

In summary, the equations for tangential acceleration in uniform circular motion are r(alpha) = d(omega)/dt and a_t = v^2/r, with the latter equation being dependent on the information given about the speed along the circular path and radius. The concept of torque can also be related to the total acceleration and tangential acceleration.
agross
I have computed angular speed, centripetal acceleration, and torque for a uniform circular motion.

What is the tangential acceleration?

I am leaning towards tangential a = r(alpha) where alpha is d(omega)/dt.
since I have calculated omega and a = dv/dt - I think its safe to
say that as dt cancels dv = r d(omega) = a tangential?

Any tips?

Physics news on Phys.org
agross said:

This is a very strange mathematical manipulation, because dt, is not actually an unknown by itself, and not directly "cancel-able". Tangential a, for uniform circular motion is given by r(omega)2 or v2/r depending on what information you have.

agross said:
I have computed angular speed, centripetal acceleration, and torque for a uniform circular motion.

What is the tangential acceleration?

This is not correct; for one thing the units are not the same (m/s^2 on the right hand side, m/s on the others).

If you start with:

[tex]
\frac{dv}{dt} = r \frac{d\omega}{dt} = a_t
[/tex]

(where v is the speed along the circular path and [tex]a_t[/itex] is the tangential acceleration), then you can rewrite this as:

[tex]
dv = r\ d\omega = a_t\ dt
[/tex]

so the dt term is now associated with the tangential acceleration.

It's not clear from your post what other information you might have; but you can relate the torque to the total acceleration, and then relate total acceleration to the tangential acceleration.

horatio89 said:
This is a very strange mathematical manipulation, because dt, is not actually an unknown by itself, and not directly "cancel-able". Tangential a, for uniform circular motion is given by r(omega)2 or v2/r depending on what information you have.

I don't believe those equations are correct.

Ah, sorry, my mistake... I was using the equations for radial acceleration. Thanks for pointing it out.

Related to Angular Velo, Tangential Acceleration

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating around a fixed point or axis. It is typically measured in radians per second or degrees per second.

2. How is angular velocity related to tangential acceleration?

Angular velocity and tangential acceleration are related through the equation a = rω^2, where a is tangential acceleration, r is the radius of the circular motion, and ω is angular velocity. This equation shows that tangential acceleration is directly proportional to angular velocity and the square of the radius.

3. What is the difference between angular velocity and linear velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of rotational speed, while linear velocity is a measure of straight-line speed. Angular velocity is typically measured in terms of an angle per unit time, while linear velocity is measured in terms of distance per unit time.

4. How can you calculate tangential acceleration?

Tangential acceleration can be calculated using the equation a = rω^2, where a is tangential acceleration, r is the radius of the circular motion, and ω is angular velocity.

5. What is the relationship between tangential acceleration and centripetal acceleration?

Tangential acceleration and centripetal acceleration are two components of the total acceleration of an object moving in a circular path. Tangential acceleration is the acceleration due to changes in speed, while centripetal acceleration is the acceleration towards the center of the circle. They are related through the equation a = √(at^2 + ac^2), where a is the total acceleration, at is tangential acceleration, and ac is centripetal acceleration.