Angular Speed of Clock Minute Hand: Rad/s

In summary, the question is asking for the angular speed of the minute hand on a clock, given that it moves 2pi radians in 3600 seconds. The equation used is angular velocity = change in theta / change in time, and the calculated answer of -0.001745 rad/s is being flagged as incorrect.
mastiffcacher

Homework Statement

What is the angular speed of the tip of the minute hand on a clock, in rad/s?

Homework Equations

I thought the equations needed would be angular velocity= change of theta/change in time.

The Attempt at a Solution

I worked on this one and am sure it has a simple answer. I know that it moves 2pi radians in 3600 seconds. I figured that to be .001745 rad every second. When I put that answer in, it tells me to check it because I may have rounded incorrectly or used the wrong number of sig figs. Did I at least start this problem correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
Generally counter-clockwise is taken as positive and clokwise as negative direction

I tried it as negative but it still is telling me that is incorrect.

Related to Angular Speed of Clock Minute Hand: Rad/s

1. What is the angular speed of a clock minute hand in rad/s?

The angular speed of a clock minute hand is 0.10472 radians per second. This means that the minute hand moves 0.10472 radians every second as it rotates around the clock face.

2. How is the angular speed of a clock minute hand calculated?

The angular speed of a clock minute hand is calculated by dividing the angle covered by the minute hand (360 degrees or 2π radians) by the time taken for one complete rotation, which is 60 minutes or 3600 seconds. This gives us the formula: ω = θ / t = 2π / 3600 = 0.10472 rad/s.

3. Does the angular speed of a clock minute hand change?

No, the angular speed of a clock minute hand remains constant. This is because the minute hand moves at a constant rate of one complete rotation in 60 minutes, regardless of the time on the clock.

4. How does the angular speed of a clock minute hand affect the speed of the hour hand?

The angular speed of a clock minute hand does not affect the speed of the hour hand. The hour hand moves at a different angular speed, completing one rotation in 12 hours or 43200 seconds. This means that the angular speed of the hour hand is 0.000072 rad/s, which is significantly slower than the minute hand.

5. Does the angular speed of a clock minute hand vary in different types of clocks?

No, the angular speed of a clock minute hand is constant in all types of clocks, whether they are analog or digital. This is because the minute hand's rotation is based on the standard unit of time, which is 60 minutes in an hour, and is not affected by the clock's design or mechanism.