Angular Speed of a star collapse

In summary: So the book is indeed "technically wrong" as hage567 says. In summary, the conversation discusses the collapse of a star into a neutron star and the resulting increase in density. A question is posed about the angular speed of the neutron star, assuming the original star had a rotational period of 31 days. Two methods are proposed to solve the problem, one considering a change in mass and the other assuming the mass remains constant. The latter approach is found to give the correct answer, indicating that the book may be incorrect in providing the information about density.
Heat

Homework Statement

Under some circumstances, a star can collapse into an extremely dense object made mostly of neutrons and called a neutron star. The density of a neutron star is roughly 10^{14} times as great as that of ordinary solid matter. Suppose we represent the star as a uniform, solid, rigid sphere, both before and after the collapse. The star's initial radius was 9.0×10^5 km (comparable to our sun); its final radius is 16 km.

If the original star rotated once in 31 days, find the angular speed of the neutron star.

The Attempt at a Solution

Rotation of Original Star: (31 days/rev)(86400s/1day)(1rev/2pi) = 288770.73 rad/s

My first attempt was proportions :rolleyes:

[(288770.72 rad/s) / (9.0x10^5 km)] = [(w)/(16km)]

w = 5.13x10^10 :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Conservation of angular momentum

but all that I am given is that the density is 10^14 greater than the before scenario.

Heat said:
but all that I am given is that the density is 10^14 greater than the before scenario.

Density is mass divided by volume.

The original density is [tex]\rho_0=\frac{m_0}{V_0}[/tex]

The new density is [tex]\rho_1=\frac{m_1}{V_1}=10^{14}\rho_0=10^{14}\frac{m_0}{V_0}[/tex]

Also, [tex]I_0\omega_0=I_1\omega_1[/tex]

Rearranging:

[tex]\omega_1=\frac{I_0\omega_0}{I_1}[/tex]

What is [tex]I[/tex] for a sphere?

[tex]I=\frac{2}{5} m r^2[/tex]

Now let's combine the equations:

[tex]\frac{m_0 r_0^2\omega_0}{m_1 r_1^2}=\omega_1[/tex]

Now to write mass in terms of density:

[tex]m=\rho V[/tex]

And you know the following:

[tex]\rho_1=\frac{m_1}{V_1}=10^{14}\rho_0=10^{14}\frac{ m_0}{V_0}[/tex]

Rearranging:

[tex]\frac{m_0}{m_1}=10^{-14}\frac{V_0}{V_1}[/tex]

Now that can be substituted in the other equation, giving:

[tex]10^{-14}\omega_0\frac{V_0 r_0^2}{V_1 r_1^2}=\omega_1[/tex]

u have ur math wrong (1rev/31days)(1day/86400s)(2PIrad/1rev)= answer.. <-- Wo

Last edited:
And the volume of a sphere is [tex]\frac{4}{3}\pi r^3[/tex]

[tex]V_0=\frac{4}{3}\pi r_0^3[/tex]

[tex]V_1=\frac{4}{3}\pi r_1^3[/tex]

[tex]\frac{V_0}{V_1}=\frac{r_0^3}{r_1^3}[/tex]

[tex]10^{-14}\omega_0\frac{r_0^5}{r_1^5}=\omega_1[/tex]

ahh exactly, nice.. and if u read above, i explain how to solve for Wo. Wo=(1rev/31days)(1day/86400s)(2PIrad/1rev)

wo = 2.35x10^-6

10^-14 ( .00000235)[(9.0x10^5)^5/(16)^5] = 13233.68

In two sig figs: 1.3 x 10 ^ 4

which is incorrect :O

It says the density increases. That does not (necessarily) mean the mass changes. I think you can assume that the mass is the same before and after the collapse.

the thing is, there is a good possibility that the mass will change.. because the density AND the radius changes... i=initial f=final
Pi=Mass(i)/Volume(i) Pf= (10^14)Pi ... now if we were to assume that masses are the same.. then let's call mass=x
Pi=X/(4pi/3(9.0×10^5 km)^3) Pf= (X/(4pi/3(16)^3)) we know that Pf/Pi=(10^14)
(X/(4pi/3(16)^3)) / (X/(4pi/3(9.0×10^5 km)^3)) must = to 10^14
after doing the math (the X's cancel out)
it comes out to be 1.8x10^14.. so masses must change

so masses do change, but it seems that Bill Foster already took that into account and simplified it to post #8 equation.

yet I went wrong somewhere. :(

I'm just saying if the "mass changing approach" doesn't give the right answer, maybe the simpler approach is what the question is really asking for. I think the 10^14 may just be extra information that is not needed to solve the problem.

You have [tex] I_o \omega_o = I_f \omega_f [/tex]

where

[tex] I_o = \frac{2}{5}MR_o^2 [/tex]
[tex]I_f = \frac{2}{5}MR_f^2 [/tex] assume the total mass stays constant.

You have [tex] \omega_o [/tex]

So put everything together, the mass cancels and you find [tex] \omega_f [/tex]

I could be wrong, of course. But did you at least try it this way to see what answer you get?

hage567 said:
I'm just saying if the "mass changing approach" doesn't give the right answer, maybe the simpler approach is what the question is really asking for. I think the 10^14 may just be extra information that is not needed to solve the problem.

You have [tex] I_o \omega_o = I_f \omega_f [/tex]

where

[tex] I_o = \frac{2}{5}MR_o^2 [/tex]
[tex]I_f = \frac{2}{5}MR_f^2 [/tex] assume the total mass stays constant.

You have [tex] \omega_o [/tex]

So put everything together, the mass cancels and you find [tex] \omega_f [/tex]

I could be wrong, of course. But did you at least try it this way to see what answer you get?
Maybe.. but its unlikely.. because the question wouldn't go into so much details about density.

Last edited:
if Heat gets the right answer using the "no mass change approach" then..well... I would say that the book/question is "technically" wrong.

However, there is some chance that Heat plugged the numbers incorrectly.. or something.. I am not sure.. let's see if Heat gets the right answer.

I know this is a very old post, but using hage567's method works. The mass does not change, and using his expression gives the correct answer.

Related to Angular Speed of a star collapse

1. What is the Angular Speed of a star collapse?

The Angular Speed of a star collapse refers to the rate at which a star rotates or collapses in on itself. It is measured in rotations per unit time, such as degrees per second or radians per hour.

2. How is the Angular Speed of a star collapse calculated?

The Angular Speed of a star collapse can be calculated by dividing the change in angle by the change in time. This can be determined through observations of a collapsing star's rotation or through mathematical models.

3. What factors can affect the Angular Speed of a star collapse?

The Angular Speed of a star collapse can be influenced by various factors, such as the mass and size of the star, the distribution of its mass, and the amount of angular momentum it possesses. Other external factors, such as nearby objects or gravitational forces, can also impact the collapse rate.

4. How does the Angular Speed of a star collapse relate to its lifespan?

The Angular Speed of a star collapse is closely tied to the lifespan of a star. As a star collapses, it can increase its rotation speed, which can cause it to burn through its fuel faster and potentially shorten its lifespan.

5. Can the Angular Speed of a star collapse be measured from Earth?

Yes, the Angular Speed of a star collapse can be measured from Earth through various methods, including spectroscopy and photometry. These techniques allow scientists to observe and track changes in a star's rotation over time to determine its Angular Speed.