Angular Resolution of Telescopes at 500nm: Formula & Explanation

In summary, technological advances have made it possible to link visible-light telescopes to achieve the same angular resolution as a single telescope over 300 meters in size. The angular resolution formula for this system is sin theta = 1.220 * wavelength/diameter, with the diameter of the telescope being the size of the mirror collecting the incoming light.
oldspice1212
Technological advances are now making it possible to link visible-light telescopes so that they can achieve the same angular resolution as a single telescope over 300 meters in size.

What is the angular resolution (diffraction limit) of such a system of telescopes for observations at a wavelength of 500 nanometers?

I was wondering if anyone has an idea on what the angular resolution formula is, I know there is one but I can't recall it..and when it says 500 nm it's 5.00*10^-9 m right? Been a while since I've dealt with waves.

Physics news on Phys.org
oldspice1212 said:
I was wondering if anyone has an idea on what the angular resolution formula is, I know there is one but I can't recall it..
Why struggle with recollection when you can "look it up"? Try your favorite search engine, wiki, etc.
and when it says 500 nm it's 5.00*10^-9 m right?
No, that would be 5nm. 1nm = 1*10-9 m.

^ Yeah sorry i meant -7 lol and I still can't figure it out, I need the diameter of the telescope or something... I think the formula is sin theta = 1.220 * wavelength/ diameter but I have no clue how to get the diameter?

How big was the single telescope? Hint: when you talk about the size of a telescope, you are talking about the diameter of the mirror which collects the incoming light.

300m?

nvm got it

Last edited:

Related to Angular Resolution of Telescopes at 500nm: Formula & Explanation

1. What is the formula for calculating the angular resolution of telescopes at 500nm?

The formula for calculating the angular resolution of telescopes at 500nm is: α = 1.22 * λ / D, where α is the angular resolution in radians, λ is the wavelength of light in nanometers, and D is the diameter of the telescope's aperture in meters.

2. How is the angular resolution of telescopes at 500nm related to the size of the telescope's aperture?

The angular resolution of telescopes at 500nm is inversely proportional to the size of the telescope's aperture. This means that as the aperture size increases, the angular resolution decreases.

3. Can the angular resolution of telescopes be improved by using shorter wavelengths of light?

Yes, the angular resolution of telescopes can be improved by using shorter wavelengths of light. This is because shorter wavelengths have a smaller value in the formula, resulting in a smaller angular resolution.

4. Why is 500nm the standard wavelength used for calculating the angular resolution of telescopes?

500nm is considered the standard wavelength for calculating the angular resolution of telescopes because it is in the middle of the visible light spectrum and is a commonly used wavelength for astronomical observations.

5. How does atmospheric turbulence affect the angular resolution of telescopes at 500nm?

Atmospheric turbulence can significantly affect the angular resolution of telescopes at 500nm. It can cause the image of a star to appear blurred and distorted, thus reducing the angular resolution of the telescope. This is why many telescopes are built in high-altitude and remote locations to minimize the effects of atmospheric turbulence.