Angular Position, Velocity, and Accelration.

In summary, the angular position of a swinging door is described by the function θ = 5.00 + 10.0t + 2.00t2, where θ is in radians and t is in seconds. The angular speed is given by ω = 10.0 + 4.00t and the angular acceleration is given by α = 4.00. At t = 0, the angular position is 5.00, the angular speed is 10.0, and the angular acceleration is 4.00
bolivartech

Homework Statement

During a certain period of time, the angular position of a swinging door is described by θ = 5.00 + 10.0t + 2.00t2, where θ is in radians and t is in seconds. Determine the angular position, angular speed, and angular acceleration of the door (a) at t = 0 and (b) at t = 3.00 s.

Homework Equations

ω = dθ / dt

α = dω / dt

The Attempt at a Solution

a) θ = 5.00
ω = 5 / 0
α = dω / 0

This just doesn't make sense, you cannot divide by 0.

But the other formulas, have either both ω and α or t cancels everything out.

This is supposed to be a simple problem of instantaneous angular speed and acceleration, how am I over complicating this?

Physics news on Phys.org
The expressions dθ/dt and dω/dt are not fractions. They are derivatives. Have you studied calculus? Do you know what differentiation is (the process of taking a derivative)? I'm asking because your attempted solution suggests that you don't.

d/dt is a symbol which, when applied to function, means, "take the derivative of that function with respect to time."

In this case, the function is θ (or θ(t), to show the argument explicitly), and we write:

dθ/dt = d/dt (5.00 + 10.0t + 2.00t2 )

Now, knowing how to actually calculate the derivative of this function of time requires knowing differential calculus.

Thanks, I don't know why I didn't see that... I stayed up way to late working on homework I actually enjoy doing.

ω = dθ/dt = d/dt (5.00 + 10.0t + 2.00t2 ) = 10

Related to Angular Position, Velocity, and Accelration.

1. What is angular position?

Angular position refers to the orientation or angle of an object with respect to a fixed reference point or axis. It is measured in radians or degrees.

2. How is angular velocity different from linear velocity?

Angular velocity is the rate of change of angular position over time, while linear velocity is the rate of change of linear position over time. Angular velocity is measured in radians per second, whereas linear velocity is measured in meters per second.

3. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity over time. It represents how quickly the angular velocity of an object is changing. It is measured in radians per second squared.

4. How is angular velocity related to angular acceleration?

Angular velocity and angular acceleration are related by the equation: angular acceleration = change in angular velocity / change in time. This means that the greater the angular acceleration, the faster the object is changing its angular velocity.

5. What are some real-life examples of angular motion?

Some examples of angular motion include the rotation of a wheel, the spinning of a top, the swinging of a pendulum, and the orbit of a planet around the sun. In all of these cases, the object is changing its angular position, velocity, and/or acceleration over time.