Angular position for 2nd order diffraction

In summary, the angular position for 2nd order diffraction is the angle at which a light ray is diffracted when passing through a diffraction grating, and it can be calculated using the equation: sinθ = mλ/d. This position can be changed by adjusting the experimental setup or using different materials for the grating. The 2nd order refers to the diffraction pattern with a higher intensity and narrower peak, and the angular position affects the spacing and intensity of the diffraction pattern.
Bolter
Homework Statement
See image attached below
Relevant Equations
dsin(theta) = m*lambda
Here is my problem

Screenshot 2020-03-23 at 20.17.40.png

I have given this a go and get 26.77 degrees as my angular position

IMG_4328.JPG

My concern is do I double this angle to get the angular width between both 2nd order maxima's (which would be 53.53 degrees) or do I just leave it as 26.77 degrees?

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good. I believe they are asking for the angle between the central max and either of the 2nd order maxima.

Likes Bolter

Related to Angular position for 2nd order diffraction

1. What is Angular Position for 2nd Order Diffraction?

Angular position for 2nd order diffraction refers to the angle at which a second order diffraction pattern is formed when light passes through a diffraction grating. This angle is measured from the normal line of the grating to the point where the light is diffracted.

2. How is Angular Position for 2nd Order Diffraction calculated?

The angular position for 2nd order diffraction can be calculated using the formula: θ = sin^-1(nλ/d), where θ is the angular position, n is the order of diffraction, λ is the wavelength of light, and d is the spacing between the lines on the diffraction grating.

3. What is the significance of Angular Position for 2nd Order Diffraction?

The angular position for 2nd order diffraction is significant because it can be used to determine the wavelength of light passing through a diffraction grating. It is also used in various scientific experiments and in the study of optics and diffraction.

4. How does the Angular Position for 2nd Order Diffraction change with different parameters?

The angular position for 2nd order diffraction will change depending on the order of diffraction, the wavelength of light, and the spacing between the lines on the diffraction grating. As these parameters change, the angle at which the diffraction pattern is formed will also change.

5. Can the Angular Position for 2nd Order Diffraction be negative?

No, the angular position for 2nd order diffraction cannot be negative. It is always measured as a positive angle from the normal line of the diffraction grating. If the angle is calculated to be negative, it means that the light is not being diffracted by the grating and is instead passing straight through.