Angular motions and Dynamics - centripetal acceleration

In summary, Ollie attempted to solve for the maximum speed a train may travel around a bend in centripetal acceleration using various methods, but came up with an incorrect answer.
hussey1
Hi all ,

I'm new here, studying computer aided product design and in my second year. We do a lot of physics and maths. I am stuck on a current question, probably not too hard but I am struggling to know what to do and the lecturers notes are not very helpful.

Homework Statement

Calculate the maximum speed in km/h at which a train may travel around a bend of 100m radius if the maximum centripetal acceleration must not exceed 0.1g in order to maintain passenger comfort.

Homework Equations

Centripetal acceleration = V^2 / r

2 x Pi x r

radian to degree = X x 180/pi

The Attempt at a Solution

Attempted using above equations and tried different methods the closest I got to the answer is:
2 x pi x r

= 2 x pi x 100

= 628 = 0.628km

0.628 x 180/pie

=35.98

I have the answer but just can't quite get it, the answer is: 35.66 km/h

Other methods I tried are here (I know they are not correct, but I tried anyway):

0.1g= V^2 / r

0.1g = V^2 / 100m

V^2 = 0.1g x 100m

V^2 = 10 (g/m?)

v = Square root of 10

V = 3.16

I also used the same as above but put this in the equation 0.1 x 9.81 = 0.981 and I got 0.99

Many thanks in advance
Ollie

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hussey1 said:
Attempted using above equations and tried different methods the closest I got to the answer is:
2 x pi x r

= 2 x pi x 100

= 628 = 0.628km

0.628 x 180/pie

=35.98
I don't understand what you did here.

This is the equation you need:
Centripetal acceleration = V^2 / r
Set it up and solve for V.

hussey1 said:
Other methods I tried are here (I know they are not correct, but I tried anyway):

0.1g= V^2 / r

0.1g = V^2 / 100m
Now you're on the right track. Hint: What is 'g'?

When dealing with these equations, express everything in terms of standard units: meters and seconds. You can convert to other units later.

Thank you, I tried using that equation, and just edited my post above while you were posting, but I still didn't get the right answer?

hussey1 said:
Thank you, I tried using that equation, and just edited my post above while you were posting, but I still didn't get the right answer?
Yep. See my comment above.

I tried g as gravity above? I guess this is incorrect is g grams?

hussey1 said:
I tried g as gravity above? I guess this is incorrect is g grams?
'g' is the acceleration due to gravity. What does it equal? (Look it up!)

(No, g is not grams!)

Thank you, yes I tried with gravity as above "I also used the same as above but put this in the equation 0.1 x 9.81 = 0.981 and I got 0.99" But I still did not get the correct answer.

I have done this:
0.1g= V^2 / r

0.1x(9.81) = V^2 / 100m

V^2 = 0.981g x 100m

V^2 = 98.1

v = Square root of 98.1

V = 9.9

Also put in as km/h 35.3 and got v= 18.78

hussey1 said:
Thank you, yes I tried with gravity as above "I also used the same as above but put this in the equation 0.1 x 9.81 = 0.981 and I got 0.99" But I still did not get the correct answer.

I have done this:
0.1g= V^2 / r

0.1x(9.81) = V^2 / 100m

V^2 = 0.981g x 100m

V^2 = 98.1

v = Square root of 98.1

V = 9.9
Good! The speed here is in standard units of m/s; you'll need to convert to km/hr.

Thank you, I appreciate the help! Got the answer now!

I think I was thinking it was more complex than it actually was and thinking into it too much!

Thank you again!

Related to Angular motions and Dynamics - centripetal acceleration

1. What is angular motion?

Angular motion is the movement of an object around a central point or axis. It is also known as rotational motion and is measured in degrees or radians.

2. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration that occurs when an object moves in a circular path due to a force acting towards the center of the circle. It is always directed towards the center and is perpendicular to the object's velocity.

3. How is centripetal acceleration calculated?

Centripetal acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = v²/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

4. What is the relationship between angular velocity and centripetal acceleration?

The relationship between angular velocity and centripetal acceleration is that they are directly proportional. This means that as the angular velocity increases, so does the centripetal acceleration, and vice versa.

5. What are some real-life examples of centripetal acceleration?

Some real-life examples of centripetal acceleration include the circular motion of a car around a curve, the rotation of a Ferris wheel, and the orbit of planets around the sun. Any motion that involves a circular path and a force acting towards the center of the circle will have centripetal acceleration.