Angular Momentum vs Linear Momentum

In summary, the conversation is about finding the angular speed of a rod after a collision with a particle. The equation (Iω)i=(Iω)f is used to solve the problem, and there is a discussion about whether to use linear or angular momentum in the equation. It is determined that the second equation, (mv)ball=(Iω)rod+mv, should be used because it has the correct dimensions for all terms.
Maged Saeed

Homework Statement

The following figure shows an overhead view of a thin rod of mass M=2.0 kg and length L = 2.0 m which can rotate horizontally about a vertical axis through the end A. A particle of mass m = 2.0 kg traveling horizontally with a velocity $$v_i=10 j \space m/s$$ strikes the rod (which was initially at rest) at point B. the particle rebounds with a velocity $$v_f=-6 j\space m/s$$. Find the angular speed of the rod just after the collision.

Homework Equations

$$(I\omega)_i=(i\omega)_f$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to solve this question using the previous equation , but I'm stuck with the momentum of the ball . Should it be linear or angular?

I mean ;
which of the following equation should i use :
1)
$$(mvl)_{ball}=(I\omega)_{rod} +mvl$$
$$(2 \times 2 \times 10j)=(\frac{2 \times 2^2}{12}+2 \times 1^2)+2\times 2 \times -6j$$
The moment of inertia of the rod is:
$$\frac{ml^2}{12}+mh^2$$
where h is the distance from the center of mass to the axis of rotation.

2)
$$(mv)_{ball}=(I\omega)_{rod}+mv$$
$$ (2 \times 2)=(\frac{2 \times 2^2}{12}+2 \times 1^2)+(2 \times -6j)$$

The equation 2 seems to lead to the correct answer , but , why i should take the linear momentum instead of angular momentum!Help please!

Physics news on Phys.org
Which equation has the same dimension for all terms ?

Yeah , ..
How it comes that I didn't pay attention to this point ..

Thanks ..

Related to Angular Momentum vs Linear Momentum

1. What is the difference between angular momentum and linear momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of an object, while linear momentum is a measure of the translational motion of an object.

2. How is angular momentum calculated?

Angular momentum is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia (a measure of an object's resistance to rotation) by the angular velocity (the rate of change of angular displacement).

3. How does angular momentum differ from linear momentum in terms of conservation?

Angular momentum is conserved in a closed system where no external torque is applied, while linear momentum is conserved in a closed system where no external force is applied. This means that the total angular momentum or linear momentum of a system will remain constant unless an external torque or force is acting on it.

4. Is there a relationship between angular momentum and linear momentum?

Yes, there is a relationship between angular momentum and linear momentum. In fact, angular momentum can be thought of as the rotational equivalent of linear momentum. For a given object, an increase in angular momentum will result in an increase in linear momentum and vice versa.

5. How do angular momentum and linear momentum affect an object's stability?

Angular momentum and linear momentum both play a role in determining an object's stability. An object with a high angular momentum will be more stable in terms of its rotational motion, while an object with a high linear momentum will be more stable in terms of its translational motion.