Angular momentum operator identity J²= J-J+ + J_3 + h*J_3 intermediate step

In summary, the given conversation discusses an Angular momentum operator identity and its solution using ladder operators and commutator identities. The solution is obtained by factoring the 1- and 2-components of J into ladder operators and adding a commutator to cancel out extra terms.
xyver

Homework Statement

I do not understand equal signs 2 and 3 the following Angular momentum operator identity:

Homework Equations

[tex]\hat{J}^2 = \hat{J}_1^2+\hat{J}_2^2 +\hat{J}_3^2[/tex]

[tex]

= \left(\hat{J}_1 +i\hat{J}_2 \right)\left(\hat{J}_1 -i\hat{J}_2 \right) +\hat{J}_3^2 + i \left[ \hat{J}_1, \hat{J}_2 \right] [/tex]

[tex]
= \hat{J}_+\hat{J}_- + \hat{J}_3^2 - \hbar \cdot \hat{J}_3 [/tex]

[tex]

= \hat{J}_-\hat{J}_++ \hat{J}_3^2 + \hbar \cdot \hat{J}_3 [/tex]

[tex] \hat{J}_+ = \hat{J}_1 + i\hat{J}_2 [/tex]

[tex]\hat{J}_- = \hat{J}_1 - i\hat{J}_2 [/tex]

[tex] [\hat{J}_i,\hat{J}_j] = i\hbar\epsilon_{ijk}\hat{J}_k [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\hat{J}^2= \hat{J}_1^2+\hat{J}_2^2 +\hat{J}_3^2 [/tex]

[tex]= \left(\hat{J}_+ -i \hat{J}_2 \right)^2 \left( \frac{\hat{J}_+ -i \hat{J}_1 }{i}\right)^2 +\hat{J}_3^2 [/tex]

[tex] = \hat{J}_+^2 -i\hat{J}_+ \hat{J}_2 -i\hat{J}_2 \hat{J}_+ +i^2 \hat{J}_2^2 +\hat{J}_3^2 + \frac{\hat{J}_+^2 -i\hat{J}_+ \hat{J}_1 -i\hat{J}_1 \hat{J}_+ + \hat{J}_1^2 } {i^2} +\hat{J}_3^2 [/tex]

[tex] = \hat{J}_+^2 -i\hat{J}_+ \hat{J}_2 -i\hat{J}_2 \hat{J}_+ - \hat{J}_2^2 - \hat{J}_+^2 +\hat{J}_+ \hat{J}_1 +\hat{J}_1 \hat{J}_+ - \hat{J}_1^2 +\hat{J}_3^2 [/tex]

[tex] = -i\hat{J}_+ \hat{J}_2 -i\hat{J}_2 \hat{J}_+ - \hat{J}_2^2 +\hat{J}_+ \hat{J}_1 +\hat{J}_1 \hat{J}_+ - \hat{J}_1^2 +\hat{J}_3^2 [/tex]

Unfortunately, this does not lead to the right way. Who can help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try working backwards. The 1- and 2-components of J are being factored into ladder operators and a commutator is being added on to cancel the extra terms:

[tex]
\begin{align*}
(J_1 + iJ_2)(J_1 - iJ_2) &= J^2_1 + J^2_2 + iJ_2 J_1 - iJ_1 J_2\\
&= J^2_1 + J^2_2 -i [J_1, J_2]
\end{align*}
[/tex]

To get to the third expression from the second, replace the ladder operators with their synonyms (J +/-) and use a commutator identity.

Related to Angular momentum operator identity J²= J-J+ + J_3 + h*J_3 intermediate step

1. What is the significance of the Angular momentum operator identity J² = J-J+ + J_3 + h*J_3 intermediate step?

The Angular momentum operator identity J² = J-J+ + J_3 + h*J_3 intermediate step is significant because it allows us to express the total angular momentum of a quantum system in terms of its individual components. This identity is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics and is used to understand the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.

2. How is the Angular momentum operator identity derived?

The Angular momentum operator identity is derived using the properties of the angular momentum operators J+, J-, and J_3, which represent the raising, lowering, and z-component operators, respectively. By manipulating these operators using the commutation relations, we can arrive at the identity J² = J-J+ + J_3 + h*J_3.

3. What does the term "h*J_3 intermediate step" represent in the Angular momentum operator identity?

The term "h*J_3 intermediate step" represents the contribution of the z-component of the angular momentum to the total angular momentum. This term is necessary to account for the quantization of angular momentum in quantum mechanics, where the allowed values of angular momentum are multiples of h/2π.

4. Can the Angular momentum operator identity be applied to any quantum system?

Yes, the Angular momentum operator identity is a general equation that can be applied to any quantum system. It is a fundamental property of quantum mechanics and is used to describe the behavior of particles with spin, such as electrons, protons, and neutrons.

5. How is the Angular momentum operator identity related to the concept of total angular momentum?

The Angular momentum operator identity is directly related to the concept of total angular momentum. It allows us to express the total angular momentum of a quantum system in terms of its individual components, which is crucial in understanding the behavior of particles with spin. The identity also helps us calculate the eigenvalues and eigenstates of the total angular momentum operator, which are important quantities in quantum mechanics.