In summary, the given conversation discusses the expansion of brackets in the proof of the equation \left[ \hat{L}_x, \hat{L}_y \right ] = i \hbar \hat{L}_z and the use of the product rule to calculate one of the terms. The conversation also clarifies why this rule is not applied to other terms in the equation.
Bernard
I am reading a proof of why

[tex] \left[ \hat{L}_x, \hat{L}_y \right ] = i \hbar \hat{L}_z [/tex]

Given a wavefunction [itex]\psi[/itex],
[tex] \hat{L}_x, \hat{L}_y \psi = \left( -i\hbar \right)^2 \left( y \frac{\partial}{\partial z} - z \frac {\partial}{\partial y} \right ) \left (z \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x} - x \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial z } \right )[/tex]

[tex]= -\hbar ^2 \left ( yz \frac{\partial ^2 \psi}{\partial z \partial x} + y \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x} - yx \frac{\partial ^2 \psi}{\partial z^2} - z^2 \frac{\partial ^2 \psi}{\partial y \partial x} + zx \frac{\partial ^2 \psi}{\partial y \partial z} \right )[/tex]

This is a simple expansion of the brackets. I don't understand however, where the second term in the brackets of the last equation comes from?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Use the product rule to calculate ##y \frac{\partial}{\partial z} \left(z\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x}\right)## because both ##z## and ##\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x}## are a function of ##z##.

The product rule:
$$
y\cdot \frac{\partial}{\partial z}(z \cdot \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x})= y\cdot \frac{\partial}{\partial z}(z)\cdot \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x} + y\cdot z\cdot \frac{\partial}{\partial z}(\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x})=y \cdot 1 \cdot \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x} + y\cdot z \cdot \frac{\partial^2 \psi}{\partial z \partial x}
$$

fresh_42 said:
The product rule:
$$
y\cdot \frac{\partial}{\partial z}(z \cdot \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x})= y\cdot \frac{\partial}{\partial z}(z)\cdot \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x} + y\cdot z\cdot \frac{\partial}{\partial z}(\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x})=y \cdot 1 \cdot \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x} + y\cdot z \cdot \frac{\partial^2 \psi}{\partial z \partial x}
$$
yes I understand that but why not, by the same reasoning, this is not applied on the other terms? (or maybe it is and I am not seeing it) i.e. why not

[tex]y \frac{\partial}{\partial z} \left( -x \frac {\partial \psi}{\partial z} \right ) = y \frac{\partial(-x)}{\partial z} \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial z} - xy \frac{ \partial ^2 \psi}{\partial z^2} [/tex]

but just [tex]y \frac{\partial}{\partial z} \left( -x \frac {\partial \psi}{\partial z} \right ) = - xy \frac{ \partial ^2 \psi}{\partial z^2} [/tex]

What is ##y \frac{\partial(-x)}{\partial z}## equal to? Recall that ##x## and ##z## are independent variables.

blue_leaf77 said:
What is ##y \frac{\partial(-x)}{\partial z}## equal to? Recall that ##x## and ##z## are independent variables.
yep that is zero. it just slipped my mind. Thanks

Related to Angular momentum operator commutation relation

1. What is the definition of the Angular Momentum Operator Commutation Relation?

The Angular Momentum Operator Commutation Relation is a mathematical relationship that describes how two operators representing angular momentum in quantum mechanics, denoted as Lx and Ly, commute with each other. This relation is given by [Lx, Ly] = iħLz, where ħ is the reduced Planck's constant and Lz is the third component of angular momentum.

2. What is the significance of the Angular Momentum Operator Commutation Relation?

The Angular Momentum Operator Commutation Relation is significant because it plays a crucial role in the formulation of quantum mechanics and the understanding of angular momentum in quantum systems. It allows us to determine the uncertainty in the measurement of different components of angular momentum and provides a fundamental understanding of the quantum nature of angular momentum.

3. How is the Angular Momentum Operator Commutation Relation derived?

The Angular Momentum Operator Commutation Relation can be derived using the fundamental commutation relation between position and momentum operators, [x, p] = iħ. By applying this commutation relation to the components of angular momentum, Lx, Ly, and Lz, and using the properties of operators, such as linearity and associativity, the Angular Momentum Operator Commutation Relation can be obtained.

4. What are the applications of the Angular Momentum Operator Commutation Relation?

The Angular Momentum Operator Commutation Relation has various applications in quantum mechanics, particularly in the study of atomic and molecular systems. It is used to calculate the energy levels and transition probabilities of atoms and molecules, as well as to understand the magnetic properties of materials. It also has applications in nuclear physics and particle physics.

5. Are there any other commutation relations related to angular momentum?

Yes, there are other commutation relations related to angular momentum, such as the commutation relation between the total angular momentum operator, J, and one of its components, Jz, given by [J, Jz] = iħJz. There is also a commutation relation between the spin operator and the orbital angular momentum operator, known as the spin-orbit coupling relation. These commutation relations are essential in understanding the behavior of angular momentum in different quantum systems.