Angular momentum operator acting on |j,m>

In summary, the equation e^{-i \pi J_x} \mid j,m \rangle = e^{-i \pi j} \mid j,-m \rangle can be proven by using the Wigner D-matrix and simplifying the expression to show that it equals (-1)^{j-m} e^{-i\pi j} \mid j,-m \rangle.
PhyPsy

Homework Statement

Prove that [itex]e^{-i \pi J_x} \mid j,m \rangle =e^{-i \pi j} \mid j,-m \rangle[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]J_x \mid j,m \rangle =\frac{\hbar}{2} [\sqrt{(j-m)(j+m+1)} \mid j,m+1 \rangle +[/itex]
[itex]\sqrt{(j+m)(j-m+1)} \mid j,m-1 \rangle][/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Expanding [itex]e^{-i \pi J_x}[/itex] to a power series and applying the equation in #2, I come up with an expression with coefficients for [itex]\mid j,m \rangle[/itex], [itex]\mid j,m+1 \rangle[/itex], [itex]\mid j,m-1 \rangle[/itex], [itex]\mid j,m+2 \rangle[/itex], [itex]\mid j,m-2 \rangle[/itex], and so on as far as the quantum number j allows. I will focus on the [itex]\mid j,m \rangle[/itex] term.

[itex]\left\{ 1+ \sum _{n=1} ^\infty \frac{(i \pi \hbar)^{2n} \left[\sqrt{(j-m)^{2n} (j+m+1)^{2n}} +\sqrt{(j+m)^{2n} (j-m+1)^{2n}}\right]}{2^{n+1} (2n)!} +\sum _{n=1} ^\infty \frac{(i \pi \hbar)^{2n+2} \left[\sqrt{(j-m)^{2n} (j+m+1)^{2n} (j-m-1)^{2n} (j+m+2)^{2n}} +\sqrt{(j+m)^{2n} (j-m+1)^{2n} (j+m-1)^{2n} (j-m+2)^{2n}}\right]}{2^{n+3} (2n+2)!} +... \right\} \mid j,m \rangle[/itex]
This coefficient goes on for as long as quantum number j allows.

The right side of the equation I am trying to prove has no operators, so the only non-zero coefficient I should have is the one for [itex]\mid j,-m \rangle[/itex]. This means that the coefficient for [itex]\mid j,m \rangle[/itex] should be 0 for all cases except when [itex]m=0[/itex].

The above series does converge, but to what it converges seems to depend on j and m. I have manipulated the series a couple different ways, but I have been unable to show that it equals 0 for all values of m except 0. I wonder if I am making this more difficult that it has to be. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well you could always cheat and notice that all you're doing is turning a spherical harmonic upside-down :smile:

Your tip led me to realize that it would be simpler to think of it as a rotation applied to [itex]\mid j,m \rangle[/itex]. Then, I can use the Wigner D-matrix to simplify the expression:
[itex]R(\alpha , \beta , \gamma) \mid j,m \rangle =\sum _{m'=-j} ^j D _{m'm} ^{(j)} (\alpha , \beta , \gamma) \mid j,m' \rangle[/itex]

[itex]e^{-i \pi J_x}[/itex] can be written as [itex]e^{-i (-\frac{\pi}{2}) J_z} e^{-i \pi J_y} e^{-i \frac{\pi}{2} J_z}=R(-\frac{\pi}{2}, \pi , \frac{\pi}{2})[/itex].

Now I can use the Wigner D-matrix equation:
[itex]R(-\frac{\pi}{2}, \pi , \frac{\pi}{2}) \mid j,m \rangle =\sum _{m'=-j} ^j D _{m'm} ^{(j)} (-\frac{\pi}{2} , \pi , \frac{\pi}{2}) \mid j,m' \rangle[/itex]
[itex]=\sum _{m'=-j} ^j e^{-i(-m' \pi /2 +m \pi /2)} d _{m'm} ^{(j)} \mid j,m' \rangle[/itex]
[itex]=(-1)^{j-m} \sum _{m'=-j} ^j e^{-i(-m' \pi /2 +m \pi /2)} \delta _{m',-m} \mid j,m' \rangle[/itex]
[itex]=(-1)^{j-m} e^{-i(m \pi /2 + m \pi /2)} \mid j,-m \rangle[/itex]

So I'm close now, but it seems like they set [itex]m=j[/itex] to get to [itex]e^{-i \pi j} \mid j,-m \rangle[/itex], and I don't know why that step would be made.

[tex] (-1)^{j-m} e^{-i(m\pi/2+m\pi/2)} = (-1)^{j-m} e^{-im\pi} = (-1)^{j-m} (e^{-i\pi})^m = (-1)^{j-m} (-1)^m = (-1)^{j-m+m} = (-1)^j = (e^{-i\pi})^j = e^{-i\pi j} [/tex]

As a scientist, it is important to understand that mathematical proofs can be complex and require a thorough understanding of the underlying concepts. In this case, it may be helpful to approach the problem from a different perspective.

One approach could be to use the identity e^{i\theta} = \cos\theta + i\sin\theta and express the exponential operator in terms of trigonometric functions. From there, you can use the trigonometric identities to simplify the expression and show that it is equal to the right side of the equation.

Another approach could be to use the commutation relation [J_x, J_y] = i\hbar J_z and the fact that e^{-i\pi J_x} = e^{-i\pi/2}e^{-i\pi J_z}e^{-i\pi/2} to simplify the expression. This approach may be more straightforward and require less manipulation of the series.

In any case, it is important to carefully consider the properties and relationships of the operators involved and use them to simplify the expression. With a thorough understanding and careful manipulation, you should be able to prove the given equation.

Related to Angular momentum operator acting on |j,m>

1. What is the definition of the Angular Momentum Operator?

The Angular Momentum Operator is a mathematical operator that describes the angular momentum of a quantum mechanical system. It is represented by the symbol L and is a vector operator, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How does the Angular Momentum Operator act on a quantum state |j,m>?

The Angular Momentum Operator acts on a quantum state |j,m> by multiplying it by the square root of j(j+1), where j is the total angular momentum quantum number, and then taking the square root of the result. This operation changes the state's angular momentum, but not its direction.

3. What are the possible outcomes of the Angular Momentum Operator acting on a quantum state |j,m>?

The possible outcomes of the Angular Momentum Operator acting on a quantum state |j,m> are the eigenvalues of the operator, which are given by the formula L^2|j,m> = ℏ^2j(j+1)|j,m>, where ℏ is the reduced Planck's constant. These eigenvalues represent the possible values of the angular momentum of the system.

4. How is the Angular Momentum Operator related to the angular momentum of a quantum system?

The Angular Momentum Operator is related to the angular momentum of a quantum system by the commutation relation [Lx,Ly] = iℏLz, where Lx, Ly, and Lz are the three components of the angular momentum operator. This relation describes how the components of angular momentum interact with each other and with the system's total angular momentum.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Angular Momentum Operator?

The Angular Momentum Operator has many real-world applications, including in quantum mechanics, atomic and molecular physics, and nuclear physics. It is used to calculate the energy levels and transition probabilities of atoms and molecules, as well as to describe the behavior of particles in magnetic and electric fields. It is also essential in understanding the spin properties of particles and in the study of nuclear structure and reactions.