Angular Momentum of the particle.

In summary, the conversation is about finding angular momentum and velocity of a particle. The attempt at a solution involves differentiating both sides with respect to time, resulting in a velocity y-component equal to the velocity x-component. The conversation also suggests drawing a diagram and understanding the concept of angular momentum.
LoveBoy

Homework Statement

7760a1c.png

Homework Equations

Find Angular Momentum.
How to find velocity of a particle.

The Attempt at a Solution

If i differentiate with `dt` both sides, I'm getting velocity y-component=velocity x-component.
Then i feel helpless:cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
LoveBoy said:

Homework Statement

7760a1c.png

Homework Equations

Find Angular Momentum.
How to find velocity of a particle.

The Attempt at a Solution

If i differentiate with `dt` both sides, I'm getting velocity y-component=velocity x-component.
Then i feel helpless:cry:

You should try drawing a diagram. Also, what is angular momentum?

Likes LoveBoy
LoveBoy said:
what are you differentiating and why? You already know the velocity.

Likes LoveBoy
Thank you !
I got it :woot:

Related to Angular Momentum of the particle.

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that describes the rotational motion of a particle or object around an axis. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is angular momentum calculated?

Angular momentum is calculated by multiplying the mass of the particle by its velocity and the distance from the axis of rotation. It is represented by the symbol L = mvr, where m is the mass, v is the velocity, and r is the distance from the axis.

3. What is the difference between angular momentum and linear momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of rotational motion, while linear momentum is a measure of linear motion. Both quantities are conserved in a closed system, but angular momentum takes into account the distance from the axis of rotation, while linear momentum does not.

4. How does angular momentum affect the stability of a particle?

The greater the angular momentum of a particle, the more stable it is. This is because a particle with a larger angular momentum has a greater tendency to maintain its rotational motion, making it more resistant to external forces that may try to change its direction or speed.

5. Can angular momentum be changed?

Yes, angular momentum can be changed by external torques acting on the particle. These torques can cause the particle to speed up or slow down, or to change the direction of its rotational motion. However, the total angular momentum of a closed system will always remain constant.