Angular momentum of hydrogen atom in specific energy level

In summary, the hydrogen atom has an energy of -0.278eV and the Rydberg constant is used in the equation E_n = (-13.6 eV)/n^2.
accountkiller

Homework Statement

A hydrogen atom is in a state with energy -0.278 eV.

Homework Equations

L = nh'

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer book says to do E_n = (-13.6 eV)/n^2 but I can't find this equation in our book. Is the 13.6 a significant number or just a different number they used for a different problem?

I know I can do this all by myself when I have time to study, but I just want to get this homework done quickly tonight to get it out of the way, since I also have a math quiz tomorrow. I promise I'm usually a good student. I'd appreciate any quick help, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The 13.6eV is the Rydberg constant.

Related to Angular momentum of hydrogen atom in specific energy level

1. What is angular momentum in the context of a hydrogen atom's energy level?

Angular momentum is a physical property that describes the rotational motion of a particle or system of particles. In the case of a hydrogen atom, it refers to the rotation of the electron around the nucleus.

2. How is angular momentum related to the specific energy level of a hydrogen atom?

The angular momentum of a hydrogen atom is directly related to its energy level. As the electron moves to higher energy levels, its angular momentum increases.

3. What is the equation for calculating the angular momentum of a hydrogen atom in a specific energy level?

The equation for calculating the angular momentum of a hydrogen atom in a specific energy level is L = √(l(l+1))ħ, where l is the quantum number representing the electron's orbital angular momentum and ħ is the reduced Planck's constant.

4. How does the angular momentum of a hydrogen atom change as it transitions between energy levels?

As a hydrogen atom transitions between energy levels, its angular momentum remains constant. This is because the electron's orbit becomes larger or smaller, but its speed remains the same, resulting in a constant angular momentum.

5. Can the angular momentum of a hydrogen atom in a specific energy level have a negative value?

No, the angular momentum of a hydrogen atom in a specific energy level cannot have a negative value. The angular momentum of a particle is always a positive scalar quantity.