Angular Momentum of Disk Question

In summary, the conversation discusses a stationary disk with a lump of clay sticking to its outer edge, with both objects having given masses and velocities. The question is about finding the magnitude of the angular momentum about the center just before impact, with the system being the disk and clay combined. The solution involves using the principle of conservation of angular momentum to find the total angular momentum before impact, and then using that to determine the angular velocity after impact.
smedearis

Homework Statement

A stationary uniform-density disk of radius 0.8m is mounted in the vertical plane. The axle is held up by supports that are not shown and is frictionless. The disk has a mass of 3.6 kg. A lump of clay with mass 0.3 kg falls and sticks to the outer edge at <-0.48, 0.64, 0>m. Before impact it has a speed 8 m/s and the disk is rotating clockwise with angular speed 0.4 radians/second. Just before impact, what is the magnitude of the angular momentum about the center. System=disk+clay, about the center (<0,0,0>)

Homework Equations

I know that it has something to do with:
Ltot=Lrot+Ltrans
Lrot=Iw, where I=.5*mR^2 and w is given? (the disk)
Ltrans=mrv, where the r here equals where it sticks? (the clay)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried plugging the numbers given into this equation, but the answer isn't right.. (the answer is 0.6912 kg*m^2/s) Angular momentum is a vector, so i assumed we'd use the vector position given. What am i doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ltrans=mrv is only true when the vectors r and v are perpendicular. Your vectors are not perpendicular. You need the more general vector equation involving the cross product L = r x p

how to do i find a cross product of something when the position is a vector, but the momentum is only magnitude?

smedearis said:
how to do i find a cross product of something when the position is a vector, but the momentum is only magnitude?

The momentum is also a vector. The lump of clay falls onto the disk.

That clears a lot up. But now, my question is after impact, what is the angular velocity (is it w - omega)?

Is there conservation of angular momentum? Do we still have translational angular momentum since the clay has been stuck to the wheel?

smedearis said:
That clears a lot up. But now, my question is after impact, what is the angular velocity (is it w - omega)?

Is there conservation of angular momentum? Do we still have translational angular momentum since the clay has been stuck to the wheel?

There are two ways to approach the analysis. Either way rests on the principle of conservation of angular momentum. Before impact, you have two separate angular momenta, one for the disk and one for the clay that must be added to find the total system angular momentum. After that you can treat them as separate objects with a relationship between the v of the clay and the ω of the disk, or you can find the moment of inertia of the disk-clay combination with angular velocity ω. Either way, the total angular momentum after impact must be the same as before impact.

Related to Angular Momentum of Disk Question

1. What is angular momentum of a disk?

Angular momentum of a disk is a property of a rotating disk that describes its tendency to keep rotating at a constant speed and direction. It is defined as the product of the disk's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2. How is angular momentum of a disk calculated?

The formula for calculating angular momentum of a disk is L = Iω, where L is the angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity.

3. What factors affect the angular momentum of a disk?

The angular momentum of a disk is affected by its moment of inertia, which depends on the mass and distribution of mass of the disk, and its angular velocity, which is affected by its rotational speed.

4. What is conservation of angular momentum?

Conservation of angular momentum is a law of physics that states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant in the absence of external torques. This means that if no external forces act on a system, the total angular momentum of the system will remain the same.

5. How does angular momentum relate to rotational motion?

Angular momentum is directly related to rotational motion, as it is a measure of an object's tendency to rotate. The greater the angular momentum of a rotating disk, the more difficult it is to change its rotational speed or direction.