Angular momentum of a thin spherical shell

In summary: Instead, start with the fundamental definition of moment of inertia: I = ∫r2 dm. That should lead you to the correct moment of inertia for each figure.Hey slr77,You didn't go wrong using the correct formula for the moment of inertia of a thin spherical shell. The correct answer to the problem is 12.5 kg m2 s-1. L = r x mv applies to a point mass. The shell is not a point mass, and can't be treated as such as most of it is distributed at distances other than r from the axis of rotation.Hey gneill,The solution listed d (19) as the correct answer so I guess it's mistaken.This has
slr77

Homework Statement

[/B]
A thin spherical shell of radius R = 0.50 m and mass 15 kg rotates about the z-axis through its center and parallel to its axis. When the angular velocity is 5.0 rad/s, its angular momentum (in kg ⋅ m2/s) is approximately:

a . 15
b. 9.0
c. 12
d. 19
e. 25

Homework Equations

[/B]
L = r x mv
L = Iω
v = rω
Moment of inertia of thin spherical shell = (2/3)mr^2

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I seem to be getting different answer using the equations above and I can't figure out why.

v = 0.5 * 5 = 2.5
L = (0.5)(15)(2.5) = 18.75

and

L = (5)(2/3)(15)(0.5)^2 = 12.5

The answer is the first one (18.75) but where did I go wrong with the using L = Iω?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi slr77,

You didn't go wrong using the correct formula for the moment of inertia of a thin spherical shell. The correct answer to the problem is 12.5 kg m2 s-1.

L = r x mv applies to a point mass. The shell is not a point mass, and can't be treated as such as most of it is distributed at distances other than r from the axis of rotation.

Hey gneill,

The solution listed d (19) as the correct answer so I guess it's mistaken.

This has uncovered some confusion about this topic though. I thought a thin-walled spherical shell had all it's mass distributed a distance r from the center. A thin-walled how cylinder has I = MR^2 (which means that all it's mass distributed at a distance r from the axis of rotation, right? I could use r x mv in that case because then Iω = rmv). How does a spherical shell differ from this? Or am I thinking of thin-walled how cylinders incorrectly too?

edit: Ok, I think I understand. The axis of rotation of the sphere passes through the middle so there are points on the wall of the sphere that are less than r away from the axis of rotation. In the cases of the hollow cylinder, every point on the wall is r away from the axis of rotation

Last edited:
slr77 said:
Hey gneill,

The solution listed d (19) as the correct answer so I guess it's mistaken.

This has uncovered some confusion about this topic though. I thought a thin-walled spherical shell had all it's mass distributed a distance r from the center.
Correct. But the center is not an axis of rotation. The axis may pass through the center.
A thin-walled how cylinder has I = MR^2 (which means that all it's mass distributed at a distance r from the axis of rotation, right?
Right. All the mass is located at distance R from the axis of rotation.
I could use r x mv in that case because then Iω = rmv). How does a spherical shell differ from this? Or am I thinking of thin-walled how cylinders incorrectly too?
No, cylinder good, shell bad :smile:

Sketch the profile of a cylindrical shell and its axis of rotation. Draw perpendiculars from the axis to the shell. Are they all the same length? How about the case of a spherical shell?

slr77 said:
L = (5)(2/3)(15)(0.5)^2 = 12.5

The answer is the first one (18.75) but where did I go wrong with the using L = Iω?
Your answer is correct, theirs isn't.
A spherical shell and a right circular cylinder are fundamentally different geometries. Don't try to extrapolate from one to the other.

Related to Angular momentum of a thin spherical shell

1. What is angular momentum of a thin spherical shell?

Angular momentum of a thin spherical shell is a measure of the rotational motion of a thin spherical object. It is defined as the product of the moment of inertia and the angular velocity of the object.

2. How is angular momentum of a thin spherical shell calculated?

The angular momentum of a thin spherical shell can be calculated using the formula L = Iω, where L is the angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity.

3. What is the moment of inertia of a thin spherical shell?

The moment of inertia of a thin spherical shell is a measure of the object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is calculated by integrating the mass of the shell over its entire surface, taking into account the distance of each small element of mass from the axis of rotation.

4. How does the distribution of mass affect the angular momentum of a thin spherical shell?

The distribution of mass in a thin spherical shell can greatly affect its angular momentum. A shell with a concentrated mass near its axis of rotation will have a smaller moment of inertia and therefore a larger angular momentum, while a shell with a more spread out mass distribution will have a larger moment of inertia and a smaller angular momentum.

5. What is the significance of angular momentum of a thin spherical shell in physics?

Angular momentum of a thin spherical shell is an important concept in physics, as it is a conserved quantity in a closed system and plays a crucial role in understanding rotational motion and conservation of energy. It is also used in various applications such as in the study of planetary motion, gyroscopes, and atomic and molecular physics.