Angular Momentum In Polar Coordinates

In summary: If anyone could point me in the right direction, that would be much appreciated.In summary, the planet sweeps out area according to the following equation: \frac{dA}{dt} = \frac{L}{2m}.
embphysics

Homework Statement

Consider a planet orbiting the fixed sun. Take the plane of the planet's orbit to be the xy-plane, with the sun at the origin, and label the planet's position by polar coordinates [itex](r, \theta)[/itex]. (a) Show that the planet's angular momentum has magnitude [itex]L = mr^2 \omega[/itex], where [itex]\omega = \dot{\theta}[/itex] is the planet's angular velocity about the sun. (b) Show that the rate at which the planet "sweeps out area" is [itex]\frac{dA}{dt} = \frac{1}{2} r^2 \omega[/itex], and hence [itex]\frac{dA}{dt} = \frac{L}{2m}[/itex],

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If we consider the sun and the planet as one system, then the gravitational force will be an internal force, which means there are no external force, and consequently [itex]\sum \vec{\tau} = \vec{0}[/itex], which means angular momentum is constant.

[itex]\vec{L} = \vec{r} \times \vec{p}[/itex]

[itex]L = rp \sin \theta[/itex], where the radial distance, r, and the angle, theta, both vary as a function of time.

Substituting in the expression for linear momentum,

[itex]L = rmv_{tan} \sin \theta[/itex], where [itex]v_{tan} = r \omega[/itex]

[itex]L = rm(r \omega) \sin \theta[/itex]

[itex]L=mr^2 \omega \sin \theta[/itex]. This is where I get stuck. What am I to do with the sin theta, which varies as time progresses? I would appreciate a hint, but not the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
##mv_{tan}## is not equal to ##p## in general. If you think about a general ##\vec{p}## then how is ##p \ \sin(\theta )## related to ##v_{tan}## ? You could try drawing it out to see what makes sense.

[itex]p \ne mv_{tan}[/itex]

Express [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] in terms of [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] and [itex]\hat{\theta}[/itex].

Why doesn't p = mvtan?

embphysics said:
Why doesn't p = mvtan?

George Jones said:
[itex]p\ne mv_{tan}[/itex]

Actually, defined appropriately, [itex]p = mv_{tan}[/itex], i.e., [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] is always tangent to the path of the planet, and thus [itex]v = v_{tan}[/itex], but, in general, [itex]v \ge r \omega [/itex], because the planet is not necessarily moving in a circular orbit.

Also, I think that you are confusing two angles that are different, the angle between [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{p}[/itex], and the angle that is a coordinate for polar coordinates.

Again,

George Jones said:
Express [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] in terms of [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] and [itex]\hat{\theta}[/itex].

Oh, so should I be using [itex]\phi[/itex] as my angular position, and [itex]\theta[/itex] as the angle between [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{p}[/itex]?

So, I should would considering the centripetal acceleration be at all helpful?

In your original post, you wrote

embphysics said:
label the planet's position by polar coordinates [itex](r, \theta)[/itex]. (a) Show that the planet's angular momentum has magnitude [itex]L = mr^2 \omega[/itex], where [itex]\omega = \dot{\theta}[/itex] is the planet's angular velocity about the sun.

so I think that we should stick with [itex]\theta[/itex] as the polar coordinate. I think that we do not need to consider the angle between [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{p}[/itex].

Use the hint that I gave, and calculate [itex]\vec{r} \times \vec{p}[/itex] as a vector.

I believe [itex]\vec{r} = r \hat{r}[/itex]. So, would the velocity vector be the derivative of this?

embphysics said:
I believe [itex]\vec{r} = r \hat{r}[/itex]. So, would the velocity vector be the derivative of this?

Yes. Use the product rule, since both [itex]r[/itex] and [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] change with time.

I thought you might have seen, either in your notes or text, the velocity vector expressed in polar coordinates. You are going to need a relationship between [itex]d\hat{r}/dt[/itex] and [itex]\hat{\theta}[/itex] that is simple, but that is difficult to motivate without diagrams.

If you haven't seen any of this, then maybe thsi isn't the approach you should take to solve the problem.

I actually just remembered that my textbook provides a derivation of Newton's 2nd Law in terms of polar coordinates. The velocity vector is [itex]\vec{v} =\dot{r} \hat{r} + r \dot{\theta} \hat{\theta}[/itex]. I have a question, suppose our planet is following an elliptical path, does this mean there is a centripetal and tangential acceleration, and that is why the tangential velocity is changing at every point on the path; or is there only a centripetal acceleration, and is the velocity changing because radial distance is changing?

Okay, I was able to figure it out. Now I am working on part b).

I drew an arbitrary elliptic/circular path, that the planet follows around the sun. I considered two arbitrary points on the path, [itex]P_1 = (r_1, \theta_1)[/itex] and [itex]P_2 = (r_2, \theta_2)[/itex]. I the supposed that the two positions where sufficiently close to each other so that the path followed is approximately a straight line, rather than curved. The position vector for P1 is [itex]\vec{r_1}[/itex], and for P2, [itex]\vec{r_2}[/itex]; then [itex]d\vec{r} = \vec{r_2} -\vec{r_1}[/itex] is the vector connecting these two points two points, and the magnitude of the vector is the length of the path that the planet travels during some time [itex]dt[/itex]. Let [itex]dA[/itex] be the area enclosed by the three vectors [itex]d\vec{r},~\vec{r_1}~,~and~\vec{r_2}[/itex].
This is sort of where I am suck. I am not sure if the assumptions I have made are correct, and of how to proceed.

Related to Angular Momentum In Polar Coordinates

1. What is angular momentum in polar coordinates?

Angular momentum in polar coordinates is a measurement of the rotational motion of an object in a two-dimensional plane. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the rotational motion.

2. How is angular momentum calculated in polar coordinates?

Angular momentum in polar coordinates is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia (a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion) by the angular velocity (a measure of how fast an object is rotating) and the angular displacement (a measure of the angle through which the object has rotated).

3. What is the difference between angular momentum in polar coordinates and Cartesian coordinates?

The main difference between angular momentum in polar coordinates and Cartesian coordinates is the way in which the rotational motion is described. In polar coordinates, the rotational motion is described in terms of the radius and angle of rotation, while in Cartesian coordinates, it is described in terms of the x, y, and z coordinates.

4. What is the conservation of angular momentum in polar coordinates?

The conservation of angular momentum in polar coordinates states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant as long as there are no external torques acting on the system. This means that the rotational motion of a system will remain constant unless acted upon by an external force.

5. How is angular momentum in polar coordinates used in real-world applications?

Angular momentum in polar coordinates is used in many real-world applications, such as in the design of vehicles and machinery that involve rotational motion. It is also used in the study of celestial bodies, such as planets and stars, to understand their rotational motion and behavior.