Angular momentum coupling - worked out examples?

In summary: It deals with the Wigner-Eckart theorem and the properties of the 3j, 6j, 9j symbols. In summary, the conversation discusses various concepts related to quantum mechanics such as the 3j, 6j, 9j -symbols, Wigner-Eckart theorem, reducible matrix element, irreducible (spherical) tensor. The speakers express difficulty understanding the notation and ask for help in finding fully worked out example calculations. Suggestions for resources are given, including Cohen-Tanoudji's Quantum Mechanics and Sakurai's Modern Quantum Mechanics books, as well as Condon and Shortley's and Wigner's books for a more advanced level.
Urvabara
3j, 6j, 9j -symbols, Wigner-Eckart theorem, reducible matrix element, irreducible (spherical) tensor. I just cannot understand the notation. I just cannot fully understand the physics behind those concepts. Where can I find fully worked out example calculations?

Especially, the notation is difficult for me. Please, give some help. I am a Bachelor of Science in Physics. :blushing: :rolleyes: :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
The notation is bad I admit.

Things like |a>|b> actually represent the tensor product of the vectors |a> and |b>. If you know that, and understand the mathematics of tensor products, and understand what a tensor product of kets represent physically, then you should, in principle, not have any more difficulty solving problems.

I personally prefer this approach to looking at a lot of examples and trying to osmose in a problem solving algorithm. I cannot redirect you to solved problems but if you want to try and tame the beast the way I suggested, then have a look at Cohen-Tanoudji's Quantum Mechanics Vol. I Chapter II §F (p.153 in my edition): Tensor product of State Space.

I used Cohen-Tanoudji in the past. At the time I hated it because I could never find anything I was looking for. I've used it to study on my own a bit more recently and some things I was fuzzy about involving tensor products came clear. I also didn't like their over use of notation for EVERYTHING, the first time around, but it proved to be helpfull when i was reviewing angular momentum. They have a nice worked example involving the fine and hyper-fine structure of hydrogen in vol II somewhere, but the Wigner-Eckart theorem is relegated to one of the post chapter appendices. I also like their treatment of identical particles.

Another angular momentum gold mine is Sakurai's book Modern Quantum Mechanics. He treats this along side symmetries and does a very nice job.

If it's sample problems you want then get the Schaum's Outline called Quantum Mechanics. It's at a level similar to Sakurai.

Urvabara said:
3j, 6j, 9j -symbols, Wigner-Eckart theorem, reducible matrix element, irreducible (spherical) tensor. I just cannot understand the notation. I just cannot fully understand the physics behind those concepts. Where can I find fully worked out example calculations?

Especially, the notation is difficult for me. Please, give some help. I am a Bachelor of Science in Physics. :blushing: :rolleyes: :cry:

Normally these topics are taught in a graduate course, Cohen-Tanoudji has been mentioned, Liboff has some but not much. At a more advanced level, try Tinkham's Group Theory and Quantum Mechanics book (Dover). The problem I have found in the past is that you do not see anything worked out in detail. An oldie is Condon and Shortley or even Wigner's book, they are highly mathematical but if you can wade through them you will come out ahead. I'd start with Condon and Shortley because they actually work out some of the numerics you want to know.

Allday said:
Another angular momentum gold mine is Sakurai's book Modern Quantum Mechanics. He treats this along side symmetries and does a very nice job.

I'd second the Sakurai choice. It's a brilliant chapter the one on angular momentum and rotation symmetry.

Related to Angular momentum coupling - worked out examples?

1. What is angular momentum coupling?

Angular momentum coupling is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where the total angular momentum of a system is conserved, even when individual components of the system interact and exchange angular momentum.

2. How is angular momentum coupling used in physics?

Angular momentum coupling is used to explain and predict the behavior of systems with multiple particles, such as atoms and molecules. It is also used in fields like astrophysics to understand the rotation and movement of celestial objects.

3. What are some examples of angular momentum coupling?

Some examples of angular momentum coupling include the spin-orbit coupling of an electron in an atom, the coupling of the Earth's rotation with its orbit around the Sun, and the coupling of the Moon's rotation with its orbit around the Earth.

4. How do you calculate the total angular momentum of a system?

The total angular momentum of a system is calculated by adding the individual angular momenta of each component, taking into account their direction and magnitude. In quantum mechanics, this is represented by the vector sum of the individual angular momentum operators.

5. Can you provide a worked out example of angular momentum coupling?

Yes, an example of angular momentum coupling can be seen in the hydrogen atom, where the electron's spin and orbital angular momenta couple to form a total angular momentum known as the total angular momentum quantum number. This coupling is expressed in the quantum mechanical equation L = Lorbital + Sspin.