Angular Momentum and Point of Application in Rolling Motion

In summary: It's not the same thing. The origin of the coordinate system is the point of contact with the ground, while the point to take the moment about is some other arbitrary point in space. It might be the center of mass or some other point that you choose. If you're rotating a body about some other point, then the origin of the coordinate system would be that other point.
PhizKid

Homework Statement

kK95lSp.png

Homework Equations

Angular momentum

The Attempt at a Solution

ArRN2Uj.jpg

NkN2Zts.jpg

So I have my work shown in the two pictures. rm, rf denote the position vectors to the center of mass and point of application of force respectively (with respect to the chosen origin of course). Is this the way to do it? I've seen a way done by some others where they take the origin of the coordinate system to be instantaneously co - moving with the point on the ball that is in contact with the ground (so that again torque will vanish with respect to this origin because it acts at the origin itself) and use the exact same terms for the final and initial angular momentum. This frame will however be accelerating with respect to a fixed coordinate system due to friction but is angular momentum unaffected by this?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a bit hard to comment on the other approach without seeing it in detail.

Is my method correct however? Also there wasn't any difference at all in the other approach other than the fact that the reference point is taken to be the point of contact of the ball with the ground. The equations are then written the same way. I was just wondering if that was allowed because such a reference point would be decelerating with respect to a fixed one.

PhizKid said:
Is my method correct however?
I believe it is, and a quite interesting one too.
Also there wasn't any difference at all in the other approach other than the fact that the reference point is taken to be the point of contact of the ball with the ground. The equations are then written the same way. I was just wondering if that was allowed because such a reference point would be decelerating with respect to a fixed one.
It's still unclear without seeing the details. I often take moments about a point of contact, but treating it only as the instantaneous point of contact. That's not the same as using an accelerating point as the origin of a reference frame. Even in the latter case, it might happen to be valid, but probably should be supported by some argument as to why it is valid.

Could you explain how you would do it with the way you mentioned by keeping the origin instantaneously at rest with respect to the point of contact. Thanks haruspex!

PhizKid said:
Could you explain how you would do it with the way you mentioned by keeping the origin instantaneously at rest with respect to the point of contact. Thanks haruspex!
No, I didn't necessarily mean for this problem. I meant rotational dynamics problems in general. For a rolling ball or disc, the point of contact is instantaneously at rest, and that's often a useful place to take moments about.

If I'm not mistaken, when you say the point to take the moment about that is not the same thing as the origin of the coordinate system is it?

Related to Angular Momentum and Point of Application in Rolling Motion

1. How does the surface of the bowling lane affect the sliding and rolling of the bowling ball?

The surface of the bowling lane plays a crucial role in the sliding and rolling of the bowling ball. A smooth and polished surface allows the ball to slide easily, while a rough and uneven surface can cause the ball to hook or curve. Lane oil patterns can also affect the amount of friction between the ball and the lane, impacting the ball's sliding and rolling motion.

2. What is the difference between sliding and rolling in bowling?

In bowling, sliding refers to the initial movement of the ball as it leaves the bowler's hand and glides down the lane. Rolling, on the other hand, is the continuous motion of the ball as it travels towards the pins. Sliding and rolling are both important components of a successful bowling shot.

3. How does the weight and core of a bowling ball affect its sliding and rolling?

The weight and core of a bowling ball can significantly impact its sliding and rolling. A heavier ball will have more momentum and will take longer to slow down, resulting in a longer slide. The core of a bowling ball also plays a role in its motion, with different core designs causing the ball to react differently on the lane.

4. What is the optimal speed for a bowling ball to slide and roll effectively?

The optimal speed for a bowling ball to slide and roll effectively depends on a variety of factors, such as lane conditions, ball weight, and the bowler's style. Generally, a speed of 16-17 miles per hour is considered ideal for most bowlers, but this can vary based on personal preference and lane conditions.

5. How can a bowler adjust their technique to improve the sliding and rolling of their bowling ball?

Bowlers can make various adjustments to their technique to improve the sliding and rolling of their bowling ball. These include adjusting their starting position on the approach, changing their release angle, or altering their ball speed. It is essential for bowlers to experiment and find the right adjustments that work for their individual style and the specific lane conditions.