Angular magnification, given F and di

In summary, the jeweler's magnifying glass with a focal length of 5.00cm is being used to examine a gold ring located at a virtual image distance of 165cm. The angular magnification of the magnifying glass is determined to be 7.76cm, which is slightly off from the correct value of 8.24cm. The formula used to calculate this magnification is 1/f = 1/do + 1/di, where M = (1/f - 1/q)N.P.
Wamjam
A Jeweler, whose near point is 40.0cm from his eye, is using a magnifying glass to examine a gold ring. The lens of the magnifying glass has a focal length of 5.00cm ( part C) Determine the angular magnification of the magnifying glass when the virtual image of the ring is located 165 cm from the lens.
1/f = 1/do + 1/di
M = (1/f - 1/q)N.P.

[(1/5) - (1/165)]40cm = 7.76cm (right answer is 8.24 centimeters ***edit NOT meters. just cm I am just tired and almost done my last exam*** ) and i can't figure out how to get it

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
nvm, i didnt figure it out.

Last edited:

Related to Angular magnification, given F and di

What is angular magnification?

Angular magnification is a measure of how much larger an object appears when viewed through a lens compared to when viewed with the naked eye.

How is angular magnification calculated?

Angular magnification is calculated by dividing the focal length of the lens (F) by the distance between the lens and the object (di). This can be expressed as M = F/di.

What is the relationship between F and di in angular magnification?

The relationship between F and di in angular magnification is inverse. This means that as the focal length of the lens increases, the distance between the lens and the object decreases, resulting in a larger angular magnification.

Can angular magnification be negative?

No, angular magnification cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, indicating an increase in size when viewed through a lens.

How can angular magnification be used in real life?

Angular magnification can be used in various scientific and technological applications, such as in telescopes, microscopes, and cameras. It allows us to see objects in greater detail and can also be used to measure the size and distance of objects in the field of view.