Angular + Linear Velocity problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a bowling ball rolling down a ramp and finding its velocity at the bottom. The initial solution does not take into account the translational motion of the ball, while the correct solution uses the relationship v = rω to find the final velocity.
GeorgeCostanz
I kno this is pretty simple and the answer is probably staring me in the face, but I'm lost for some reason. Our teacher gave back our tests so i have the answer, but I'm not sure how to get it. I haven't had a chance to speak to my teacher yet, but i intend to tomorrow if no one helps me first.

Homework Statement

A bowling ball [(mass = 7 kg)(radius = .50m)] rolls without slipping down a 3m high ramp. Starting from rest, find the velocity at the bottom of the ramp.

Homework Equations

Bowling ball inertia = I = (2/5)(M)(R)^2 = (0.7)

The Attempt at a Solution

I used conservation of angular momentum

(1/2)(I-initial)(omega-initial)[itex]^{2}[/itex] + mg(h-initial) = (1/2)(I-final)(omega-final)[itex]^{2}[/itex] + mg(h-final)

after calculating i got omega-final = 24 (actually 24.25, but he instructed us to round to the nearest whole number)
i converted that to v = 12

which is wrong

i was supposed to set it up as:

(1/2)(I-initial)(omega-initial)[itex]^{2}[/itex] + mg(h-initial) = (1/2)(I-final)(omega-final)[itex]^{2}[/itex] + mg(h-final) + (1/2)m(v)[itex]^{2}[/itex]

and v = 6.5 is the answer

i was under the impression we were supposed to find the angular velocity at the bottom of the ramp and convert to linear velocity

i'm not sure how he got v = 6.5

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In your solution, you ignored the translational motion of the ball. The ball ends up with both rotational speed and translational speed. Hint: How are those two speeds related for rolling without slipping?

are you referring to v = rω?

GeorgeCostanz said:
are you referring to v = rω?
Yes.

so would it look like:

(1/2)(I-initial)(omega-initial)[itex]^{2}[/itex] + mg(h-initial) = (1/2)(I-final)(omega-final)[itex]^{2}[/itex] + mg(h-final) + (1/2)m(r)[itex]^{2}[/itex](omega-final)[itex]^{2}[/itex]

just worked it out and got the right answer
i actually set it up like that last night and worked it out but just now realized i made a simple error
hate when that happens

thanks doc!

Related to Angular + Linear Velocity problem

1. What is the difference between angular and linear velocity?

Angular velocity refers to the rate of change of the angular position of an object with respect to time, while linear velocity refers to the rate of change of the linear position of an object with respect to time. In simpler terms, angular velocity describes how fast an object is rotating, while linear velocity describes how fast an object is moving in a straight line.

2. How are angular and linear velocity related?

Angular and linear velocity are related through the radius of rotation. The linear velocity of an object at a particular point on its rotating path is equal to the product of its angular velocity and the radius of rotation. This means that as the angular velocity increases, the linear velocity also increases.

3. How do you calculate angular velocity?

Angular velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in angular position by the change in time. It is typically measured in radians per second (rad/s) or revolutions per minute (rpm). The formula for angular velocity is: ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω is angular velocity, Δθ is the change in angular position, and Δt is the change in time.

4. How do you convert between angular and linear velocity?

To convert between angular and linear velocity, you need to know the radius of rotation. If you have the angular velocity in radians per second, you can multiply it by the radius to get the linear velocity in meters per second. If you have the angular velocity in revolutions per minute, you can first convert it to radians per second by multiplying it by 2π/60 and then multiply it by the radius. The formula for this conversion is: v = ωr, where v is linear velocity, ω is angular velocity, and r is the radius of rotation.

5. How is angular and linear velocity used in real life?

Angular and linear velocity have many practical applications in daily life. For example, they are used in the design and operation of machinery and vehicles, such as cars, airplanes, and roller coasters. They are also important in sports, such as in the spin of a ball in baseball or the rotation of a figure skater. Additionally, these concepts are used in physics and engineering to understand the motion of objects and to solve problems related to rotational motion.