Angular-Linear Momentum Collisions

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of calculating the values of a_1, a_2, w_1, and w_2 in a collision between two objects. The speakers mention the conservation of angular momentum and the use of equations to determine these values. They also mention a website that provides a simulation of collisions.
JWA
Hi there,

A friend of mine is creating a physics engine in java (mostly as a challenge I believe).

Today he asked me a question about the results of collisions between objects. For example, imagine that these 2 objects collide:

fab24a989f.png

The results of such a collusion would be something like this:

c6e51b0016.png

where w_1 and w_2 are angular velocities, a_1 and a_2 are final velocities in the x,y plane.

The question really is, how do you calculate the values of a_1, a_2, w_1 and w_2?

Then does the method/answer change when you have initial angular velocities as well?

I would love to have a method for finding these values, but from what I've searched online, I can't find anything...

P.S. I would assume this is graduate level physics. I did a degree in physics and have honestly no clue but that might also be because I was never much good with physics :P

Thanks,
~jwa

Physics news on Phys.org
JWA said:
The question really is, how do you calculate the values of a_1, a_2, w_1 and w_2?

Then does the method/answer change when you have initial angular velocities as well?

I would love to have a method for finding these values, but from what I've searched online, I can't find anything...

By common sense one can say that the angular momentum before the collision and after the collision will be same...as the angular momentum is moment of momentum and simple momentum is being conserved.
the equations governing the conservation of momentum as well as angular momentum for closed
systems can give you the values of the angular velocities as well as the linear velocities if the initial conditions are given.
if you wish to see a simulation pl. visit <http://www.myphysicslab.com/collision.html>

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Angular-Linear Momentum Collisions

1. What is the difference between angular momentum and linear momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion, while linear momentum is a measure of an object's translational motion. Angular momentum takes into account an object's mass, velocity, and distance from the axis of rotation, while linear momentum only takes into account an object's mass and velocity in a straight line.

2. How does a collision between two objects affect their angular and linear momentum?

In a collision between two objects, the total angular momentum of the system remains constant if there is no external torque acting on the system. However, the total linear momentum of the system can change depending on whether the collision is elastic or inelastic.

3. What is the conservation of momentum principle?

The conservation of momentum principle states that the total momentum of a system remains constant in the absence of external forces. This means that in a collision between two objects, the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision.

4. How do you calculate the change in angular and linear momentum during a collision?

The change in angular momentum during a collision can be calculated using the formula L = Iω, where L is the angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity. The change in linear momentum can be calculated using the formula p = mv, where p is the linear momentum, m is the mass, and v is the velocity of the object.

5. Can the principle of conservation of momentum be applied to all types of collisions?

Yes, the principle of conservation of momentum can be applied to all types of collisions as long as there are no external forces acting on the system. This includes both elastic and inelastic collisions, as well as collisions between objects with different masses or velocities.