Angular distriubution of muon flux

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation revolved around estimating the effects of muon flux on an experimental setup and the challenges in finding accurate information on muon energy spectrum and angular distribution. The speaker suggests looking into research articles and consulting with experts for more detailed insights on the topic.
Riffraff
Hello physics enthusiasts,

I am currently trying to estimate the effects of the muon flux on an experimental setup located overground. In particular I am interested in the angular distribution with which they are impinging.

Sofar I have had problems even finding a simple muon energy spectrum (at creation in the atmosphere as well as at sea-level). As to the angular distribution, I have found this http://cosmic.lbl.gov/SKliewer/Cosmic_Rays/Muons.htm" which only makes the naive calculation based on the assumption that the attenuation and path lenghts of the muons are directly proportional. This I don't really understand, as I would expect the muon decaying to contribute with something like [tex]N(x) = N_{0}e^{\lambda x}[/tex], x being the path length and lambda related to the life time of the muon. Additionally muons might simply be stopped by EM interactions after a certain path length, but this effect would depend strongly on the energy spectrum.

I'm confident these inquiries have been made before but I can't seem to find anything usefull - I would be much obliged for some pointers.

Best regards :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org

Hello fellow physics enthusiast,

Thank you for bringing up this interesting topic. Estimating the effects of muon flux on an experimental setup is indeed a challenging task. You are correct in your assumption that the muon energy spectrum varies depending on their creation in the atmosphere and at sea-level. This is due to the interactions of cosmic rays with the Earth's atmosphere.

As for the angular distribution of muons, the calculation based on attenuation and path lengths may be a simplified approach, as it assumes a direct proportionality. However, as you mentioned, the decay and EM interactions of muons also play a role in their angular distribution.

There have been many studies on the angular distribution of muons, and I would suggest looking into research articles and journals for more accurate and detailed information. Additionally, you may also consider consulting with experts in the field for further guidance and insights.

I wish you all the best in your research and hope that you are able to find the information you need. Good luck!

Related to Angular distriubution of muon flux

What is the angular distribution of muon flux?

The angular distribution of muon flux refers to the pattern or spread of muon particles as they enter the Earth's atmosphere. It describes the likelihood of finding a muon at a particular angle from the direction of the incoming cosmic ray.

How is the angular distribution of muon flux measured?

The angular distribution of muon flux is measured by using detectors such as scintillators or Cherenkov detectors. These detectors can detect the direction and energy of muon particles as they pass through the detector, allowing for the calculation of the angular distribution.

What factors can affect the angular distribution of muon flux?

The angular distribution of muon flux can be affected by various factors such as the energy and direction of the incoming cosmic ray, the density and composition of the atmosphere, and the location of the detector. Additionally, the presence of magnetic fields can also influence the angular distribution.

Why is the angular distribution of muon flux important?

The study of the angular distribution of muon flux can provide valuable insights into the properties and behavior of cosmic rays and their interactions with the Earth's atmosphere. It can also help in the design and optimization of detectors used in particle physics experiments.

How does the angular distribution of muon flux vary at different altitudes?

The angular distribution of muon flux is known to change at different altitudes due to the varying atmospheric conditions. As the air becomes less dense at higher altitudes, the muon flux tends to decrease, and the angular distribution becomes more isotropic (uniform in all directions) due to the reduced effects of scattering and absorption in the atmosphere.