ِAngular distribution of a scattered field

In summary, the conversation discusses the study of reflection from a rough surface and its field distribution, and the possibility of using this to obtain the angular distribution of the scattered field and project it to plane waves. It also mentions the Rayleigh Roughness criterion and an article that may be helpful. The final question asks about the direction of wave vibration for a given reflected ray.
Ahmed123
SA
I study the reflection from a rough surface and get the field as the attached figure
my question
can I use the field distribution to get the angular distribution of the scattered field and how can I project the field to plane waves?

Attachments

• m.jpg
    m.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 104
Science news on Phys.org
Re your last question, for a given reflected ray, the wave vibrates at right angles to the direction of travel.

Related to ِAngular distribution of a scattered field

1. What is the angular distribution of a scattered field?

The angular distribution of a scattered field is a measure of how the intensity of a scattered electromagnetic field varies with direction. It describes the pattern of energy distribution in space around the scattering object.

2. How is the angular distribution of a scattered field measured?

The angular distribution of a scattered field can be measured using instruments such as a spectrometer or a photometer. These devices measure the intensity of the scattered field at different angles and create a plot known as an angular distribution curve.

3. What factors affect the angular distribution of a scattered field?

The angular distribution of a scattered field can be affected by several factors, including the size and shape of the scattering object, the wavelength of the incident light, and the refractive index of the medium in which the scattering occurs.

4. How does the angular distribution of a scattered field relate to the scattering angle?

The angular distribution of a scattered field is directly related to the scattering angle, which is the angle between the incident light and the direction of the scattered light. As the scattering angle increases, the intensity of the scattered field generally decreases.

5. What applications does the study of angular distribution of a scattered field have?

The study of angular distribution of a scattered field has many applications, including remote sensing, atmospheric and oceanic studies, and the design of optical devices. It is also important in understanding the behavior of light in various materials and environments.