Modeling a Star: Struggling with Newton-Raphson Technique

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of modeling a star using the old shooting method technique. After encountering problems with the initial integration, the speaker realizes the need to use a multi-dimensional Newton-Raphson technique. They ask for someone to explain this technique, which involves applying the equations of stellar structure and hydrostatic equilibrium, using boundary conditions and the XYZ composition and Saha equation to determine the abundance of free ions and opacity. The process also involves changing the independent variable from radius fraction to mass fraction, assuming constant density, and solving for a revised density function until it converges. The speaker mentions the possibility of using the Runga Kutta method to determine the power fraction enclosed. They also mention not knowing the name for this process.
mccizmt2
I am trying to model a star using the old shooting method technique. I've encountered problems after my very first pass of integration. I know that I need to use a multi-dimensional Newton-Raphson technique and i think that I've not done this correctly. Could anybody please try and explain this technique.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
mccizmt2 said:
I am trying to model a star using the old shooting method technique. I've encountered problems after my very first pass of integration. I know that I need to use a multi-dimensional Newton-Raphson technique and i think that I've not done this correctly. Could anybody please try and explain this technique.
Start with the equations of stellar structure and the equation of hydrostatic equilibrium, apply the boundary conditions you know: core temperature and pressure, and T=0 and P=0 at r=Rsun. The XYZ composition and the Saha equation gives you the abundance of free ions and the opacity. Use the chain rule to change the independent variable from radius fraction to mass fraction. Begin by assuming constant density. Solve the equation set to obtain a revised density function, and repeat until rho(M) converges. Runga Kutta might give you the power fraction enclosed from M=0 to M=Mi. If there's a name for doing this, I never heard what it was.

Jerry Abbott

What is the Newton-Raphson technique and why is it used in modeling a star?

The Newton-Raphson technique is a mathematical method used to find the roots of a function. In the context of modeling a star, it is used to solve the equations that describe the structure and behavior of a star. This technique is preferred because it is more accurate and efficient compared to other methods.

What are the challenges of using the Newton-Raphson technique in modeling a star?

One of the main challenges of using the Newton-Raphson technique in modeling a star is the complexity of the equations involved. These equations are highly nonlinear and can be difficult to solve, even with this method. Additionally, the accuracy of the results may be affected by the initial guess of the solution and the convergence of the algorithm.

Can the Newton-Raphson technique be used to model all types of stars?

Yes, the Newton-Raphson technique can be applied to model all types of stars, from small dwarf stars to massive supergiants. However, the specific equations and parameters used in the modeling process may vary depending on the type and characteristics of the star being studied.

How does the Newton-Raphson technique help in understanding the behavior of a star?

By using the Newton-Raphson technique, scientists can accurately model the internal structure and processes of a star, such as its temperature, pressure, and energy generation. This information helps in understanding the behavior and evolution of stars, as well as predicting their future changes.

Are there any limitations to using the Newton-Raphson technique in modeling a star?

While the Newton-Raphson technique is a powerful tool in modeling stars, it also has its limitations. It may not be suitable for systems with highly variable or chaotic behavior, and it may not be able to accurately model extreme conditions such as a star's core collapse or explosion. In these cases, other techniques may be used in conjunction with the Newton-Raphson method to improve the accuracy of the results.