Angular and CoM Velocities of a Solid Sphere

In summary, a solid sphere of mass M and radius R is rolling without slipping down a curved rail, starting at rest at a height of h1 and ending at a height of h2. Using the equations for kinetic energy and moment of inertia, the angular velocity ω2 can be found to be √(10g(h1-h2)/7R) and the center of mass velocity vcm at the end of the rail can be found to be √(10g(h1-h2)/7). It is assumed that no vibration or heat is generated during the rolling.
m1k4chu

Homework Statement

A solid sphere of mass M and radius R is rolling,without slipping, down a curved rail. The sphere is initially at rest at a height of h1. Find the angular velocity ω2 and the center of mass velocity of the sphere vcm at the end of the rail of height h2. You may assume that no vibration and heat are generated as the sphere rolls along the rail.

Homework Equations

solid sphere, [itex]I = \frac{2}{5}mR^2 [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure if I began with the correct equation.

[itex]KE = \frac{1}{2} m v^2 + \frac{1}{2} I ω^2[/itex]
[itex]= \frac{1}{2} m(ωR)^2 + \frac{1}{2} (\frac{2}{5}mR^2) ω^2[/itex]
[itex]mg(h_1 -h_2) = \frac{7}{10}m ω^2 R^2[/itex]
[itex]ω = √(\frac{10}{7}g(h_1-h_2)) / R[/itex]

[itex]KE = \frac{1}{2} m v^2 + \frac{1}{2} I ω^2[/itex]
[itex] = \frac{1}{2} m v^2 + \frac{1}{2} (\frac{2}{5}mR^2) (\frac{v}{R})^2[/itex]
[itex]mg(h_1 -h_2) = \frac{7}{10}mv^2[/itex]
[itex]v = √(\frac{10}{7}g(h_1-h_2))[/itex]

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me. (Of course there was no need to solve it twice, since v = ωR.)

Related to Angular and CoM Velocities of a Solid Sphere

1. What is the difference between Angular Velocity and Center of Mass Velocity of a Solid Sphere?

Angular velocity is a measure of how fast a solid sphere is rotating around its own axis, while center of mass velocity is a measure of how fast the whole solid sphere is moving through space.

2. How are Angular Velocity and Center of Mass Velocity related?

The angular velocity and center of mass velocity of a solid sphere are related by the equation v = rω, where v is the center of mass velocity, r is the radius of the sphere, and ω is the angular velocity.

3. How can I calculate the Angular Velocity and Center of Mass Velocity of a Solid Sphere?

The angular velocity of a solid sphere can be calculated by dividing the angle rotated by the time it took to rotate, while the center of mass velocity can be calculated by dividing the displacement of the sphere by the time it took to move.

4. What factors can affect the Angular Velocity and Center of Mass Velocity of a Solid Sphere?

The angular velocity of a solid sphere can be affected by the moment of inertia, the radius of the sphere, and the torque applied. The center of mass velocity can be affected by the mass of the sphere, the external forces acting on it, and the friction present on the surface it is moving on.

5. Why is it important to understand Angular Velocity and Center of Mass Velocity of a Solid Sphere?

Understanding the angular velocity and center of mass velocity of a solid sphere is important in many fields such as physics, engineering, and sports. It allows for the prediction and control of rotational and translational motion, which is essential in designing machines, analyzing movements, and predicting the behavior of objects in motion.