Angular Acceleration of Solid Cylinder: Mass, Force, Time

In summary, the conversation discussed the angular acceleration of a solid cylinder of mass 1.14 kg and radius 6.3 cm, pivoting on a fixed, frictionless bearing. The first scenario considered a downward force of 4.606 N applied by a string wrapped around the cylinder, while the second scenario attached a block with mass 0.47 kg to the cylinder with a massless string. Both scenarios required calculating torque using the expression for moment of inertia and solving for angular acceleration in units of "rad/s^2". The final question asked for the distance traveled by the attached mass between t = 0.51 s and t = 0.71 s.
melissa_y
1) A solid cylinder of mass M = 1.14 kg and radius R = 6.3 cm pivots on a thin, fixed, frictionless bearing (see Figure). A string wrapped around the cylinder pulls downward with a force F = 4.606 N. What is the magnitude of the angular acceleration of the cylinder? Use units of "rad/s\^{}2".

2)Consider that instead of the force F, a block with mass m = 0.47 kg (with force F = 4.606 N) is attached to the cylinder with a massless string (see Figure). What is now the magnitude of the angular acceleration of the cylinder? Use units of "rad/s\^{}2".

3)How far does mass m travel downward between t = 0.51 s and t = 0.71 s (Assuming motion begins at time t = 0.0 s)?

Physics news on Phys.org
1)

[itex]
T=I a

where T = rF sinQ

[/itex]

Use the expression for MI of the cylinder and calculate the torque and put the values in the above expression.

2) Try to use the Free Body Diagram , the same expressions as above will be applicable , in this case the force 'F' will change.Try i out and show your work here.

B.J

1) To find the angular acceleration of the cylinder, we can use the equation α = τ/I where α is the angular acceleration, τ is the torque, and I is the moment of inertia. In this case, the torque is equal to the force F multiplied by the radius R, and the moment of inertia for a solid cylinder is given by I = ½MR². Plugging in the given values, we get:

α = (4.606 N)(0.063 m)/(½)(1.14 kg)(0.063 m²)

= 0.0487 rad/s²

2) If we now attach a block to the cylinder with a massless string, the torque will be the same as before, but the moment of inertia will change. We can calculate the new moment of inertia by adding the moment of inertia of the cylinder to the moment of inertia of the block, which is given by I = ½mr². So, the new moment of inertia is:

I = ½(1.14 kg)(0.063 m²) + ½(0.47 kg)(0.063 m²)

= 0.0387 kgm²

Using the same equation as before, we get:

α = (4.606 N)(0.063 m)/(0.0387 kgm²)

= 0.0750 rad/s²

3) To find the distance traveled by the block between t = 0.51 s and t = 0.71 s, we can use the equation s = ut + ½at² where s is the distance traveled, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. We can assume that the block starts from rest, so u = 0. The acceleration can be found by multiplying the angular acceleration by the radius, so a = αR. Plugging in the values, we get:

s = 0 + ½(0.0487 rad/s²)(0.063 m)(0.71 s)² - ½(0.0487 rad/s²)(0.063 m)(0.51 s)²

= 0.000797 m

Therefore, the mass m travels 0.000797 m downward between t = 0.51 s and t = 0.71 s.

Related to Angular Acceleration of Solid Cylinder: Mass, Force, Time

1. What is the formula for calculating angular acceleration of a solid cylinder?

The formula for angular acceleration of a solid cylinder is α = τ/I where α represents the angular acceleration, τ represents the torque, and I represents the moment of inertia of the cylinder.

2. How is the mass of a solid cylinder related to its angular acceleration?

The mass of a solid cylinder does not directly affect its angular acceleration. Instead, it is the distribution of mass, represented by the moment of inertia, that influences the angular acceleration.

3. What force is required to produce a given angular acceleration on a solid cylinder?

The force required to produce a given angular acceleration on a solid cylinder can be calculated using the formula τ = Iα, where τ represents the torque and I represents the moment of inertia of the cylinder.

4. Can the angular acceleration of a solid cylinder change over time?

Yes, the angular acceleration of a solid cylinder can change over time if the torque or moment of inertia changes. For example, if a force is applied to the cylinder or the distribution of mass changes, the angular acceleration will also change.

5. How does the time affect the angular acceleration of a solid cylinder?

The time does not directly affect the angular acceleration of a solid cylinder. However, the time interval during which a force is applied can influence the change in angular velocity, which in turn affects the angular acceleration.