Angular Acceleration of a system.

In summary, the problem involves two pulley wheels with respective radii of 0.34 m and 0.64 m mounted on a common axle and clamped together. The combined moment of inertia is I + 1.2 kg*m^2. Two masses, 25 kg and 19 kg, are attached to cords wrapped around the two wheels. The goal is to find the angular acceleration of the system, with the acceleration of gravity being 9.8 m/s^2 and taking clockwise direction as positive. The key to solving the problem is determining the torque of the tensions in the two cords.
myr10

Homework Statement

Two pulley wheels, or respective radii R1 =
0.34 m and R2 = 0.64 m are mounted rigidly
on a common axle and clamped together. The
combined moment of inertia of the two wheels
is I + 1.2 kg*m^2.
Mass m1 = 25 kg is attached to a cord
wrapped around the first wheel, and another
mass m2 = 19 kg is attached to another cord
wrapped around the second wheel.

The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2 :
Find the angular acceleration of the system.
Take clockwise direction as positive. Answer
in units of rad/s^2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

im not sure how to go about solving this.

Attachments

• pulley.jpg
    pulley.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 945
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

myr10 said:
Two pulley wheels, or respective radii R1 =
0.34 m and R2 = 0.64 m are mounted rigidly
on a common axle and clamped together. The
combined moment of inertia of the two wheels
is I + 1.2 kg*m^2.
Mass m1 = 25 kg is attached to a cord
wrapped around the first wheel, and another
mass m2 = 19 kg is attached to another cord
wrapped around the second wheel.

Hi myr10! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a squared: ² and an omega: ω :smile:)

(I assume you meant to type I = 1.2 kg*m²)

Hint: what is the torque of the tensions in the two cords? :wink:

I would approach this problem by first understanding the basic principles of rotational motion. In this system, there are two pulley wheels with different radii that are connected by a common axle. The moment of inertia of the combined system is given, and there are two masses attached to the pulley wheels.

To find the angular acceleration of the system, we can use the equation:

α = τ/I

where α is the angular acceleration, τ is the net torque acting on the system, and I is the moment of inertia. In this case, we can calculate the net torque by considering the forces acting on each mass.

For the first mass, we have a tension force acting downward on the cord, and a weight force acting downward as well. The tension force also creates a torque on the pulley wheel, given by τ = F * R1, where F is the tension force and R1 is the radius of the first pulley wheel. The weight force creates a torque in the opposite direction, given by τ = mg * R1, where m is the mass of the first object and g is the acceleration due to gravity. Therefore, the net torque on the first pulley wheel is:

τ1 = F * R1 - mg * R1 = (F - mg) * R1

Similarly, for the second mass, the net torque is:

τ2 = (F - mg) * R2

Since the two pulley wheels are clamped together, the net torque on the system is equal to the sum of the individual torques:

τ = τ1 + τ2 = [(F - mg) * R1] + [(F - mg) * R2]

We can then plug this into our equation for angular acceleration:

α = [(F - mg) * R1 + (F - mg) * R2] / (I + 1.2)

To find the tension force, we can use Newton's second law:

F = m * a

where m is the mass of the second object and a is its linear acceleration. Since the pulley wheel is rotating at a constant angular velocity, we can relate the linear acceleration to the angular acceleration using the equation:

a = R2 * α

Substituting this into our equation for the tension force, we get:

F = m * R2 * α

Finally, we can substitute this into our equation for angular acceleration to get:

α = [(

Related to Angular Acceleration of a system.

What is Angular Acceleration?

Angular acceleration is a measure of how quickly the angular velocity of a rotating object changes over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and is typically measured in radians per second squared (rad/s²) or degrees per second squared (deg/s²).

What factors affect the Angular Acceleration of a system?

The angular acceleration of a system is affected by several factors, including the magnitude and direction of the applied torque, the moment of inertia of the object, and the angular velocity of the object. Additionally, external forces such as friction or air resistance can also impact the angular acceleration.

How is Angular Acceleration related to Angular Velocity?

Angular acceleration and angular velocity are closely related and can be thought of as the "rate of change" and "amount of change" respectively. Angular acceleration is the change in angular velocity over time, while angular velocity is the rate at which an object rotates around a fixed axis.

How is Angular Acceleration calculated?

The formula for angular acceleration is α = Δω / Δt, where α is the angular acceleration, Δω is the change in angular velocity, and Δt is the change in time. In other words, angular acceleration is equal to the change in angular velocity divided by the change in time.

What are some real-world applications of Angular Acceleration?

Angular acceleration is a fundamental concept in physics and has many real-world applications. It is used in the design and analysis of rotating machinery, such as engines and turbines. It is also important in sports and athletics, such as calculating the spin rate of a baseball or the rotational speed of a figure skater. Additionally, understanding angular acceleration is crucial for spacecraft and satellites in orbit.