Angular acceleration of a discus

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of different formulas to calculate angular acceleration and the confusion that arises when different values are obtained. The correct formula to use depends on whether there is angular acceleration present or not. The use of the formula \omega = \frac{\Delta \theta}{\Delta t} is incorrect when there is angular acceleration.
sona1177
To throw a discus, the thrower holds it with a fully outstretched arm. Starting from rest, he begins to turn with a constant anguLar acceleration. The diameter of the circle in which the discus moves is about 1.8 m. If a thrower takes 1.0 s to complete one revolution, starting from rest, what will The speed of the discus be at release?

I'm just starting this question and am wondering why when I calculate the angular acceleration using formula:

Angular acceleration= change in Angular velocity/change in time which for this problem is 2pi rad/1 sec/1sec I get 2 pi rad/s^2

But when I use the formula:

Change in theta=initial angular velocity * initial change in time time + .5 * angular acceleration * time^2

I get 4pi rad/s^2 bc
2pi=.5(angular acceleration) (1)^2 I get 4pi rad/s^2. So why am I getting two different angular accelerations with these two formulas? I know the problem Is asking for speed but first I want to know why I get two different answers for angular acceleration.

Physics news on Phys.org
For your first equation you are assuming the change in angular velocity is 2*pi rad/s. This isn't a correct assumption since you don't know the final angular velocity.

But If the discus starts at rest, then Wi=zero rad/s and after 1 second it goes 1rev which is 2 pi radians so doesn't that mean that at that point the final w is 2 pi rad/second therefore the change is 2 pi radians/Sec?

You can use:

[tex]\omega = \frac{\Delta \theta}{\Delta t}[/tex]

only if there is no angular acceleration. If there is angular acceleration then you need to use:

[tex]\omega = \omega_0 + \alpha t[/tex]

or many other kinematic equations you use for constant acceleration.

One that might prove particularly useful to get [itex]\omega[/itex] right away is:

[tex]\frac{\Delta \theta}{\Delta t} = \frac{\omega + \omega_0}{2}[/tex]

taken from:

[tex]\frac{\Delta x}{\Delta t} = \frac{v + v_0}{2}[/tex]

if you remember your kinematic equations for constant acceleration.

Thank you for taking the time to clarify that for me! :)

Related to Angular acceleration of a discus

What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is a measure of how quickly the angular velocity of an object changes over time. It is represented by the symbol α and is measured in radians per second squared.

How is angular acceleration related to discus throwing?

In discus throwing, the angular acceleration is the rate at which the discus spins around its center of mass. It is an important factor in determining the distance and accuracy of the throw.

What factors affect the angular acceleration of a discus?

The angular acceleration of a discus is affected by the force applied to it, the mass and shape of the discus, and the distance from the center of mass to the point of rotation.

How is angular acceleration different from linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration and linear acceleration are different because they measure the change in different types of motion. Angular acceleration measures the change in rotational motion, while linear acceleration measures the change in straight-line motion.

How can angular acceleration be calculated?

Angular acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. It can also be calculated by dividing the torque applied to the discus by its moment of inertia.