Angular acceleration caused by mass over a pulley

In summary: The angular acceleration is then the rate of change of the distance from the center of the post to the center of the rope. The linear acceleration is the rate of change of the distance from the center of the post to the center of the Earth.But they are related. Consider the point of attachment... the rope is fixed at one end and the post is free to rotate. The angular acceleration is then the rate of change of the distance from the center of the post to the center of the rope. The linear acceleration is the rate of change of the distance from the center of the post to the center of the Earth.
Fluxthroughme
icmurt.png

The method I'm using in the image is the one that makes the most sense to me, but I've tried others and still cannot get at the stated answer, which is 2.65 rad/s^2

Physics news on Phys.org
Do not assume that the tension in the rope equals the weight of the hanging mass. Set up two equations, one for the post and one for the hanging mass. Then you can solve for the acceleration.

Doc Al said:
Do not assume that the tension in the rope equals the weight of the hanging mass. Set up two equations, one for the post and one for the hanging mass. Then you can solve for the acceleration.

Sorry, how do I go about that? If the tension in the string isn't 5g, I don't know how to do it.

Fluxthroughme said:
Sorry, how do I go about that? If the tension in the string isn't 5g, I don't know how to do it.
Don't guess, solve! Call the tension T and set up your equations. That will be one of the unknowns. Luckily, you'll have two equations and two unknowns.

Doc Al said:
Don't guess, solve! Call the tension T and set up your equations. That will be one of the unknowns. Luckily, you'll have two equations and two unknowns.

I'm not even guessing; I just don't know how to set up the equations. T - 5g = 5a, I think? Then I am 100% lost at the post.

Fluxthroughme said:
I'm not even guessing; I just don't know how to set up the equations. T - 5g = 5a, I think?
Good! Since the mass falls, I would choose positive as down and let "a" stand for the magnitude of the acceleration.

Now write an equation for the post.

Doc Al said:
Good! Since the mass falls, I would choose positive as down and let "a" stand for the magnitude of the acceleration.

Now write an equation for the post.

I'm not sure how I can be any more direct: I am 100% lost at the post. It's not for lack of thinking, I just don't know what the equation ought to be?

Fluxthroughme said:
I'm not sure how I can be any more direct: I am 100% lost at the post. It's not for lack of thinking, I just don't know what the equation ought to be?
You already set up the equation for the post in your first post! Your mistake was assuming that the tension was equal to mg. Set the unknown tension equal to T and write out that equation.

Doc Al said:
You already set up the equation for the post in your first post! Your mistake was assuming that the tension was equal to mg. Set the unknown tension equal to T and write out that equation.

If you mean [itex]rF=I/alpha[/itex], then isn't that a different acceleration to the acceleration for the block?

Last edited:
Fluxthroughme said:
If you mean [itex]rF=I/alpha[/itex], then isn't that a different acceleration to the acceleration for the block?
Yes, that's what I mean. Almost. It should be rF = I*alpha.

Yes, one is an angular acceleration and the other is a linear acceleration. How are they related? (The rope is attached to the post.)

Doc Al said:
Yes, that's what I mean. Almost. It should be rF = I*alpha.

Yes, one is an angular acceleration and the other is a linear acceleration. How are they related? (The rope is attached to the post.)

Yeah, that's what I meant - LaTeX troubles :P

Well, regardless, I still get the wrong answer:

5jW8JuM.png

And I checked, in case I mixed my signs up, adding 6.25 rather than subtracting, which gives 2.84, still not the correct answer.

Fluxthroughme said:
Well, regardless, I still get the wrong answer:
You need to fix the sign of "a" in your equation for the hanging mass.

And how does alpha relate to "a"?

Doc Al said:
You need to fix the sign of "a" in your equation for the hanging mass.

Which doing will give me 2.84 as the final answer, which is still incorrect? =/

Fluxthroughme said:
Which doing will give me 2.84 as the final answer, which is still incorrect? =/
Write your equations. Tell me how alpha relates to "a".

Don't solve them, just write them.

(I solved it and got the correct answer, so we need to see where you are going wrong.)

Doc Al said:
Write your equations. Tell me how alpha relates to "a".

Don't solve them, just write them.

(I solved it and got the correct answer, so we need to see where you are going wrong.)

I don't know how it relates it general, but at that instant, they are the same?

5g - T = 5a
[itex]\tau = rF=r(5g-5a) = 61.3 - 6.25a = Ia, a(I+6.25) = 61.3[/itex]
[itex]\frac{61.3}{\frac{1}{3}*15*1.75^2 + 6.25} = a[/itex]
a = 2.84

Fluxthroughme said:
I don't know how it relates it general, but at that instant, they are the same?
How can an angular acceleration (in rad/s^2) be the same as a linear acceleration (in m/s^2)?

But they are related. Consider the point of attachment of the rope with the post. How does the linear acceleration of that point relate to the angular acceleration of the post?

You're almost there.

Doc Al said:
How can an angular acceleration (in rad/s^2) be the same as a linear acceleration (in m/s^2)?

But they are related. Consider the point of attachment of the rope with the post. How does the linear acceleration of that point relate to the angular acceleration of the post?

You're almost there.

Ok, [itex]a=r\alpha[/itex]

Solving from there is just basic algebra. Prior to googling, I had not seen this, nor thought about a concrete relationship between them, which must've been why I could not see how to do the problem. Thank you for putting up with me :P

Fluxthroughme said:
Ok, [itex]a=r\alpha[/itex]

Solving from there is just basic algebra. Prior to googling, I had not seen this, nor thought about a concrete relationship between them, which must've been why I could not see how to do the problem. Thank you for putting up with me :P
Now you've got it. :approve: You should be able to the the correct answer now.

And you're welcome.

Related to Angular acceleration caused by mass over a pulley

1. What is angular acceleration caused by mass over a pulley?

Angular acceleration caused by mass over a pulley is the rate at which the rotational speed of an object changes when a mass is attached to it and pulled over a pulley.

2. How is angular acceleration calculated in this scenario?

Angular acceleration is calculated by dividing the net torque acting on the object by its moment of inertia. In the case of a mass over a pulley, the net torque is equal to the weight of the mass multiplied by the radius of the pulley, and the moment of inertia is determined by the shape and mass distribution of the object.

3. What factors affect the amount of angular acceleration in this system?

The amount of angular acceleration in this system is affected by the mass of the object, the radius of the pulley, and the moment of inertia of the object. The angle at which the mass is pulled and the friction of the pulley can also have an impact.

4. How does the direction of the mass affect the angular acceleration?

The direction of the mass has a significant impact on the angular acceleration. If the mass is pulled downwards, it will cause the object to rotate in one direction, while pulling upwards will cause it to rotate in the opposite direction. The direction of the rotation can be determined using the right-hand rule.

5. Can the angular acceleration be negative in this system?

Yes, the angular acceleration can be negative in this system. This indicates that the object is slowing down or rotating in the opposite direction due to the net torque acting on it. This can happen if the weight of the mass is smaller than the friction of the pulley, causing a decrease in rotational speed.