Angular Acceleration Calculation: Solving Problems with Formulas | Get Help Now

In summary, the problem involves determining the angular acceleration of a wheel with a velocity of 200 rad/min after rotating for 1.5 seconds, finding the radius of the wheel if 5000 N of force was applied with a given rotational inertia, and determining the time it would take for the wheel to stop if a constant torque of 10,000 NM is applied. The mass of the wheel also needs to be determined. The solution for part C suggests that it would take 1.5 seconds to stop the wheel, but it is uncertain if the correct variables were used. Assistance and feedback would be greatly appreciated.
ProSk8ter474
Heres the problem. I'm trying to solve it at the moment, and I'll be posting what I have done so far. I'm very short on formulas for this so I will need help. Thanks a lot.

1) a) Determine angular acceleration of a wheel, which has a velocity of 200 rad/min after rotating for 1.5s from start.
b) If the wheel has a rotational inertia of 5500 kgm2(squared), what would be its radius if 5000 N of forced had been applied?
c) If the same wheel, having reached a final velocity of 200 rad/min, were slowed down with a constant torque of 10,000 NM applied (with same radius), how long would it take to stop the wheel?
d.) How much force was applied?
e.) Determine the mass of the wheel. (the wheel is a solid disk)

Again, your help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, here's what I'm thinking.

a.) (200/60)rad/min = (10/3)rad/s
Angular Acceleration = (dW/dT)
(3.33rad/s)/(1.5s) = 2.22 rad/s^2

b.) I = MR^2 F = Ma
5000N = (M)(2.22rad/s^2)
M = 2252.25 kgm/rad

I = MR^2
(5500kgm^2) = (2252.25kgm/rad)(R^2)
R = 1.56 m/rad

c.) No idea. Please Help
d.) No idea. Please Help
e.) No idea. Please Help

Possibility for Part C

Angular Displacement = (W^2-Wo^2)/(2*Angular Acceleration)
= (11.11rad^2/s^2)/(4.44rad/s^2)
= 2.5 rad
Angular Displacement = (t/2)(Wo+W)
=(2.5 rad) = (t/2)*(10/3rad/s)
=(2.5 rad)/(3.33rad/s)
= .75s = (t/2)
t = 1.5 s

Now, I think I solved that part, but I didn't end up using Torque or the Radius, so my answer could be wrong. Please reply with any comments

Related to Angular Acceleration Calculation: Solving Problems with Formulas | Get Help Now

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity over time. It measures how quickly an object is rotating or changing its rotational speed.

2. How is angular acceleration different from linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration is specific to rotational motion, while linear acceleration is specific to linear motion. Angular acceleration is measured in radians per second squared, while linear acceleration is measured in meters per second squared.

3. What factors affect angular acceleration?

The factors that affect angular acceleration include the magnitude of the torque applied to the object, the mass and distribution of the object, and the moment of inertia of the object.

4. How is angular acceleration calculated?

Angular acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. The formula for angular acceleration is alpha = (omega2 - omega1) / (t2 - t1), where alpha is the angular acceleration, omega is the angular velocity, and t is the time interval.

5. How can I use angular acceleration in real-life situations?

Angular acceleration is used in various real-life situations, such as calculating the performance of vehicles in motorsports, designing roller coasters and amusement park rides, and understanding the motion of objects in space. It is also important in engineering and physics to understand the forces and motion of rotating objects.