Angular Acceleration and Moment Arm

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of escape velocity for a rocket on Planet X, which has half the radius of Earth and a gravitational force twice as strong. The correct answer is c) v, as the escape velocity is independent of the mass and radius of the planet. The conversation also covers the calculation of gravitational potential and surface acceleration on Planet X, and the use of equations to determine the relationship between the mass and radius of the planet and the escape velocity.
RoboNerd

Homework Statement

[A rocket has landed on Planet X, which has half the radius of Earth. An astronaut onboard the rocket weighs twice as much on Planet X as on Earth. If the escape velocity for the rocket taking off from Earth is v , then its escape velocity on Planet X is

a) 2 v
b) (√2)v
c) v
d) v/2
e) v/4

C is the answer

Homework Equations

so I know the following

0.5 * m * (vEscape)^2 - [ (G * m * mEarth)/r ] = 0.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I know that my g on this planet is going to be twice as much so the radius of this planet is decreased by a factor of (1 / sqrt(2) ) [via Newton's law of gravitation]. Thus, I think that planet X's radius should be changed to (1 / sqrt(2) ) * radius of Earth, and that would create a new escape velocity different from v.

Could anyone please explain how C is the right answer?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Escape velocity is related to the gravitational potential, not to the gravitational force.

Could you please explain how you would have solved this? Thanks!

RoboNerd said:
Could you please explain how you would have solved this? Thanks!
What is the gravitational potential at the surface of a uniform sphere, mass m, radius r?

RoboNerd said:
I know that my g on this planet is going to be twice as much so the radius of this planet is decreased by a factor of (1 / sqrt(2) ) [via Newton's law of gravitation]. Thus, I think that planet X's radius should be changed to (1 / sqrt(2) ) * radius of Earth, and that would create a new escape velocity different from v.
By the way, this makes absolutely no sense. Why would you change the parameters of the problem? Nowhere is it stated that the planet has the same mass as Earth.

well i think they do say something about the mass of planet s when they say that the g is different from the one on Earth by a factor of two.

gravitational potential at Earth's surface is (-G * mE * mObject)/r

RoboNerd said:
well i think they do say something about the mass of planet s when they say that the g is different from the one on Earth by a factor of two.
They are, but your statement about the radius would only have been valid if the planet had the same mass as the Earth. So what is the gravitational potential at the surface of the planet? How does it relate to the surface acceleration?

(G * massEarth * massObjectAtSurface)/ radiusEarth = gravitational potential at surface.

I do not know how it relates to surface acceleration.

RoboNerd said:
(G * massEarth * massObjectAtSurface)/ radiusEarth = gravitational potential at surface.

I do not know how it relates to surface acceleration.
What is the expression for the surface acceleration?

( G * mE ) / r^2 = surface acceleration (g)

And therefore ...

We do not have enough information to make a valid conclusion. Thanks!

RoboNerd said:
Wrong.

RoboNerd said:
You do have enough information, you are just not using it right.

OK... what would you suggest I do to get this right?

What would be the next step?

RoboNerd said:
OK... what would you suggest I do to get this right?

What would be the next step?
Create a variable for the mass of the rocket. Using your equation in post #10, write an expression for the weight of the rocket on Earth. Create another variable for the mass of planet X. Knowing the radius of planet X, write an expression for the weight of the rocket on planet X.
What equation can you now write?

weight of the rocket on Earth = mg = m * [ (G * mE) / (rE^2) ]

weight of rocket on planet x = mg = m [ (G * mX) / (1/4 * rE)^2 ].

I multiply the first equation by two and set it equal to the second one

2* m * [ (G * mE) / (rE^2) ] = m [ (G * mX) / (1/4 * rE)^2 ]

I solved for mX and I get 1/4 * mE.

right?

RoboNerd said:
I solved for mX and I get 1/4 * mE.

right?
That is the right idea, but be careful with your math:
RoboNerd said:
2* m * [ (G * mE) / (rE^2) ] = m [ (G * mX) / (1/4 * rE)^2 ]

If you cancel all the similar constants out of this equation you get 2mE = mx/(1/4) = 4mx so then mx = 1/2 mE

The next question is, how does the escape velocity of a planet depends on the mass/radius of the planet?
(Orodruin's post #2 should help).

Thanks so much for the help! I got it! I wrote an expression for escape velocity on planet x, substituted terms, and the new coefficients canceled!

I really appreciate this!

Related to Angular Acceleration and Moment Arm

What is Angular Acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity with respect to time. It is a measure of how quickly the angular velocity of an object is changing. It is typically denoted by the symbol α and its unit is radians per second squared (rad/s2).

How is Angular Acceleration calculated?

Angular acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. The formula for angular acceleration is α = (ω2 - ω1) / (t2 - t1), where ω is the final angular velocity, t is the final time, and the subscripts 1 and 2 represent the initial values.

What is Moment Arm?

Moment arm, also known as lever arm, is the perpendicular distance from the line of action of a force to the axis of rotation. It is a crucial factor in determining the torque, or rotational force, produced by a force. It is typically measured in meters (m).

How does Moment Arm affect Angular Acceleration?

Moment arm plays a significant role in determining the angular acceleration of an object. The larger the moment arm, the greater the torque produced by a given force, resulting in a larger angular acceleration. Conversely, a smaller moment arm will result in a smaller torque and angular acceleration.

How is Angular Acceleration related to Linear Acceleration?

Angular acceleration is related to linear acceleration through the moment of inertia of an object. The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion and is directly proportional to the angular acceleration. This means that an object with a higher moment of inertia will experience a lower angular acceleration for a given linear acceleration, and vice versa.