Angular acceleration and angular velocity

In summary, to calculate the angular acceleration and angular velocity of a 4 kg object rotating in a circle of 3 m radius in a time of 6 s, you need to first calculate the angular velocity using the equation "Angular velocity= angular displacement/time" and then use the equation "Angular acceleration = ω2*r" to find the radial acceleration. However, the question may be incomplete as it does not provide enough information to calculate the angular acceleration.
John78

Homework Statement

Calculate the angular acceleration and angular velocity of a 4 kg object rotating in a circle of 3 m radius in a time of 6 s.

Homework Equations

Angular acceleration = ω2*r

Angular velocity= angular displacement/time ?

The Attempt at a Solution

Really don't know how to start :C

Physics news on Phys.org
hmm. It might help if you went over some of the topics of circular motion. Also, the question is badly worded or incomplete? Angular acceleration is a term usually used for the acceleration which is perpendicular to the radial motion. So it is not omega squared times r. The radial acceleration is usually used for omega squared times r.

But with what the question gives you, it looks like the angular acceleration cannot be found, although the radial acceleration can. So I think you can assume you are meant to work out the radial acceleration.

Another problem with the question is that it doesn't explicitly say how far the object moves in that 6 seconds. But at a first guess, I'd say you are meant to assume it completes one full rotation in 6 seconds.

So, assuming the object completes one full rotation in 6 seconds, then what is the angular velocity? You've written the equation: "Angular velocity= angular displacement/time" so what is the 'angular displacement' for one full rotation?

My calculation looks like that

Angular velocity:

360/57.3=6.28 rad/s

6.28 rad/s / 6= 1.04 rad/sec

but what about angular acceleration?

Am I right i thinking?

The time period is given to you as 6 seconds.
You need ##\omega## (angular velocity).

##Period = \frac{2 \pi}{\omega}##

For, angular acceleration, I think the data is incomplete because angular acceleration ##\alpha=\frac{d\omega}{dt}##. So you need more values.

John78 said:
My calculation looks like that

Angular velocity:

360/57.3=6.28 rad/s

6.28 rad/s / 6= 1.04 rad/sec

Yep, this is right. (Although, it is 6.28 rad, and it only gets the units of rad/sec when you divide by time). The question asks about angular acceleration, but as warlock says, the angular acceleration cannot be found. So it is more likely that the question meant radial acceleration (aka centripetal acceleration). And you do have the correct equation for this.

Related to Angular acceleration and angular velocity

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity with respect to time. It is a measure of how quickly an object's angular velocity is changing in a given time interval.

2. How is angular acceleration calculated?

Angular acceleration can be calculated by taking the change in angular velocity and dividing it by the change in time. This can be represented by the formula: α = (ω2 - ω1) / (t2 - t1), where α is the angular acceleration, ω is the angular velocity, and t is time.

3. What is the relationship between angular acceleration and angular velocity?

Angular acceleration and angular velocity are directly related. Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity, meaning that if angular acceleration is constant, angular velocity will change at a constant rate. This relationship is represented by the formula: ω = ω0 + αt, where ω is the final angular velocity, ω0 is the initial angular velocity, α is the angular acceleration, and t is time.

4. How does angular acceleration affect rotational motion?

Angular acceleration plays a crucial role in rotational motion, as it determines how quickly an object will change its rotational speed. A larger angular acceleration will result in a faster change in rotational speed, while a smaller angular acceleration will result in a slower change in rotational speed.

5. Can angular acceleration and angular velocity be negative?

Yes, both angular acceleration and angular velocity can be negative. A negative angular acceleration represents a decrease in angular velocity, while a negative angular velocity represents a rotation in the opposite direction to the chosen positive direction. In other words, a negative angular velocity means the object is rotating clockwise instead of counterclockwise.