Angular Acceleration and a grindstone

In summary, a grindstone, originally rotating at 126 rad/s undergoes a constant angular acceleration so that it makes 20.0 rev in the first 8.00s. The angular acceleration is 0.313 rad/s2.
bamalam
HELP! I keep getting a solution that is not part of the choices. Where am I messing up?

A grindstone, originally rotating at 126 rad/s undergoes a constant angular acceleration so that it makes 20.0 rev in the first 8.00s. What is the angular acceleration?

a) 0.313 rad/s2
b) 0.625 rad/s2
c) 2.50 rad/s2
d) 1.97 rad/s2
e) 13.79 rad/s2

My Calculations:
20rev*2PIrad/rev = 40PI rad = theta
t = 8 sec
wo = 126 rad/sec

theta = wo*t+1/2*a*t^2
40PI = 126*8+.5*a*8^2
40PI-126*8 = 32a
a = -27.57 rad/sec^2

Physics news on Phys.org
bamalam said:
HELP! I keep getting a solution that is not part of the choices. Where am I messing up?

A grindstone, originally rotating at 126 rad/s undergoes a constant angular acceleration so that it makes 20.0 rev in the first 8.00s. What is the angular acceleration?

a) 0.313 rad/s2
b) 0.625 rad/s2
c) 2.50 rad/s2
d) 1.97 rad/s2
e) 13.79 rad/s2

My Calculations:
20rev*2PIrad/rev = 40PI rad = theta
t = 8 sec
wo = 126 rad/sec

theta = wo*t+1/2*a*t^2
40PI = 126*8+.5*a*8^2
40PI-126*8 = 32a
a = -27.57 rad/sec^2
Let's back up:

We have u = 126rads^-1
We also have s = 20rev = 40Pi Radians
t = 8s
Now we're left with:
40Pi = (126)(8) + 1/2a(64)
40Pi = 1008 + 32a
a = -27.57300918...rad s^-2

Same answer here...
Perhaps mistake in the question? (Maybe..)

I have -27.57 too. At any rate, none of the proposed answer have a minus sign, so they're all wrong :wink:.

But it's quite probable that there's a mistake in the answer... because 13.79 rad/s2 is exactly half of our answer. As if the dude making the question had forgotten the 1/2 in

[tex]\theta (t) = \theta_0 + \omega_0 t + \frac{1}{2}\alpha t^2[/tex]

which is a common mistake when one plugs all the numerical values and solve for the answer...

Related to Angular Acceleration and a grindstone

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity over time. It is a measure of how quickly an object's rotational speed is changing.

2. How is angular acceleration related to a grindstone?

In the context of a grindstone, angular acceleration refers to the change in the grindstone's rotational speed as it is being turned.

3. What factors affect angular acceleration in a grindstone?

The main factors that affect angular acceleration in a grindstone are the applied force or torque, the moment of inertia (which is determined by the shape and mass distribution of the grindstone), and any external forces or friction acting on the grindstone.

4. How can angular acceleration be calculated for a grindstone?

Angular acceleration can be calculated using the formula α = τ/I, where α is the angular acceleration, τ is the torque, and I is the moment of inertia of the grindstone.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding angular acceleration in a grindstone?

Understanding angular acceleration in a grindstone can be useful in industries such as construction and manufacturing, where rotating machines are commonly used. It can also be applied in sports, such as skateboarding or snowboarding, where understanding the acceleration of a spinning wheel or board is important for performing tricks and maneuvers.