Angles in Two-Dimensional Elastic Collision

In summary, the homework statement is that two pucks collide and the angle between the two velocities is unknown. The student is trying to find the angle but is stuck due to lack of information.
axcess

Homework Statement

The setup is there are two pucks (m1, m2) on an air table and they undergo elastic collision while m2 is stationary. I am asked to find the angle between the two velocities but I can't figure out how without being giving at least one angle.

Variables:
m1 = 28.0 g = 0.28 kg
m2 = 102 g = 0.102 kg
v1 = 0.785 m/s
v2 = ?

Homework Equations

Ki = (1/2)m1v1i2
Kf = Ki
Kf = (1/2)m1v1f2 + (1/2)m2v2f2 = Ki

The Attempt at a Solution

First I went about finding what v2 was by using Kf = Ki

(1/2)(0.028)(0.785)2 + (1/2)(0.102)v2f2 = (1/2)(0.028)(1)2
(0.008) + (1/2)(0.102)v2f2 = (0.014)
v2f2 = (0.117)
v2f = 0.343 m/s

Now this is the part I'm stuck, since they want me to find the angle between v1 and v2. If they had given me at least an angle for m1 I could use [0 = m1v1fsin[tex]\theta[/tex] - m2v2fsin[tex]\theta[/tex]] but I have no angles to work with, and I'm not sure how I should arrange the equations to find the angle. If I were to guess I would say that they angle would be 90o since m2 was stationary, but I'm not sure how to prove that and I don't think it applies to this case since I have two different masses.

If anyone could help me understand this problem, that would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
Denote the angles of 2 v after collision along x-axis is alpha and beta. Then you write down conservation of momentum in x and y-axis. You will have 2 equations that contains cos, sin. Do some stuff and you can find 2 angles :D

You can define your coordinate axes so that the moving puck is initially traveling along the x-axis. You can then assume its angle (to the x-axis) becomes theta1 after the collision while the other puck goes off at theta2. Now there are three unknowns, v2f, theta1, and theta2, and three equations: 2 for momentum and 1 for energy.

Related to Angles in Two-Dimensional Elastic Collision

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision between two objects where there is no loss of kinetic energy. This means that the total kinetic energy of the system before and after the collision remains the same.

2. What is the relationship between angles and two-dimensional elastic collisions?

In two-dimensional elastic collisions, the angle at which two objects collide affects the direction in which they move after the collision. This can be seen through the conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy equations.

3. How do you calculate the final angles in a two-dimensional elastic collision?

The final angles in a two-dimensional elastic collision can be calculated using the conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy equations. These equations take into account the masses and velocities of the objects before and after the collision.

4. What are some real-life examples of two-dimensional elastic collisions?

Some real-life examples of two-dimensional elastic collisions include billiard balls colliding on a pool table, balls bouncing off each other on a tennis court, and two cars colliding at an angle on a road.

5. How does the coefficient of restitution affect the angle in a two-dimensional elastic collision?

The coefficient of restitution, which is a measure of the elasticity of a collision, affects the angle in a two-dimensional elastic collision by determining the ratio of the final velocities of the objects after the collision. This, in turn, affects the direction in which the objects will move after the collision.